Where To Buy Your Gas!

Help Support CattleToday:

Tommy Ruyle":3w0vrdds said:
Campground Cattle wrote:
[It goes back to people thinking diesel trucks get better mileage to gasoline. Not true 1 gallon of diesel weighs 8 pounds gasoline 6 pounds. When you pull up tp the pump the diesel driver buys 3 gallons weighing 24 pounds the gasoline driver has to buy 4 gallons weighing 24 pounds the bought energy is now equal we sell fuel in this country by volume not weight.]

You sound very knowledgeable, but I question your stated weight of diesel. According to the Univ. of Mo, #2 diesel weighs approximately 7.1 lbs./gallon.

(Ref: http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore ... g01990.htm)
[/quote]

An approximate weight is 8 pounds, based on the common adage: "A pint's a pound the world around". I was trying to keep the chemistry level simple. The weight of diesel varies greatly depending on the kerosene blended in 10,20,30 % more kero lighter the Final Boiling points for the time of year . FBP at 650 is lighter than that of 690. Usually diesel weighs more in the winter verse summer demand for heating oil is high so the targets are for high end point blends to maximize product. Diesel can weigh from 6.84 to 9.1 depending on the blends and cuts.
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodser ... 4_6_rf.htm
Gasoline is lighter in the winter as Butane blending levels are increased with cooler weather. TxBobcat Pm me if you want to learn more I can supply you tons of info that would take up pages on the board.

Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. On average, 1 gallon (3.8 L) of diesel fuel contains approximately 155x106 joules (147,000 BTU), while 1 gallon of gasoline contains 132x106 joules (125,000 BTU). This explains why diesel engines get better mileage than equivalent gasoline engines. Diesel is approx twice as heavy atomically as gasoline basing gasoline on a C8 molecule which is industry standard (C8 is Octane) and Diesel C-16 which is cetane for rating purposes.
Gasoline contains molecules from C4 butane to C-12 Dodecane.
Diesel contains from C-12 to C-24 hydrocarbons. Kerosene is in the C-11 to C-15 range of hydrocarbons.
Diesel weights vary from 6.84 to 9.1 pounds depending on the season and the blend due to molecular weights of various blends.I hope I was able to explain this a little better.

Since this post started out talking about not purchasing OPEC oil, then evolved to using less OPEC oil (hybrids), and finally a discussion about diesel fuel efficiency, why not just cut OPEC off completely? I don't think the problem is OPEC. It's the fact they we have not developed alternate clean burning fuel sources, despite the fact that we have the technology to do so. We really don't need fossil fuels at all anymore.

Our grain farmers are able to "overproduce" our food needs. Ethanol alcohol burns cleaner, is replenish able, and would be "one way" of eliminating our dependence on the Arabs for fuel. There are plenty of people who'd love all Americans to accept dinky little hybrid cars and the inescapable erosion of comfort associated with cramped vehicles as the oil solution. I, for one, don't accept that as a viable solution.

rwtherefords":1qr2ai9m said:
Since this post started out talking about not purchasing OPEC oil, then evolved to using less OPEC oil (hybrids), and finally a discussion about diesel fuel efficiency, why not just cut OPEC off completely? I don't think the problem is OPEC. It's the fact they we have not developed alternate clean burning fuel sources, despite the fact that we have the technology to do so. We really don't need fossil fuels at all anymore.

Our grain farmers are able to "overproduce" our food needs. Ethanol alcohol burns cleaner, is replenish able, and would be "one way" of eliminating our dependence on the Arabs for fuel. There are plenty of people who'd love all Americans to accept dinky little hybrid cars and the inescapable erosion of comfort associated with cramped vehicles as the oil solution. I, for one, don't accept that as a viable solution.

First cutting off OPEC would leave the country about 7 million barels a day short that can not be replace by ethanol.
Secondly producing ethanol to fuel is kinda like hydrogen to produce enough h2 to rplace 15 gals in gasoline would cost you about 600 dollars to produce for the same amount of energy.
One of the myths about ethanol is yes it burns cleaner but it takes a lot more energy to produce a useable fuel so more pollution.
You couldn't grow enough grain in the entire world to produce 7 million barrels a day in fuel.
One anwser that seems viable in the near future 20 years is placing a naturel gas reformer under the hood that converts natural gas to hydrogen.
Only problem is you will still have to convert organic hydrocarbons to natural gas to meet demand.

Muratic":34b5y70s said:
How many of those companies are American Owned? I think maybe Exxon?
ChevronTexaco which is dropping the Texaco name is American owned