Where the heck is Cypress !???

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
HI all,

As some of the more veteran members may have noticed, I have taken yet another leave of abscence from the CT boards. I have some truly great friends here, and while I have a few minutes I wanted to apologize to you all.

I've had to put both of my parents in a nursing home. I guess you never know what lif throws at you. So I've been running between work, my family/household and my parents house and the nursing home. My work is about an hour and a half from the nursing home, so I've been running like crazy. I'm sure some of you have been through the same with parents/in-laws. This is my first go at this, and my brothers aren't close enough to help much, so the day to day falls on me.

I did make the decision to sell out my dad's cattle - just one less thing for me to worry about.

So sorry to my good friends at CT, but I've been too busy to think of myself lately. You only have one mom and dad, and they are first priority now.

Cypress

I know just what you mean. My mom had dementia and is getting worse. My wonderful wife agreed to let me move her in the apartment we have in the garage. I can't believe how much one old woman can eat, and how much trash she generates. Just yeaterday she asked me when the trash man comes, and for the thousandth time I told her I take it across the road to the dumpster. I also have two sisters that think they are too far away, 25 miles, to even visit. They think mom is crazy anyway and doesn't know if they come or not. Believe me, she does. Tell your brothers how much it will help you if they would just come once in a while to visit. Last time my sisters came, the first time in 6-7 months, they stayed about 15 mininutes. Wish they had just stayed away, mom commented on how busy they were. Anyway, good luck, and remember, if we don't set a good example for our children to follow, who's gonna' take care of us someday. gs

Glad you're OK Cypress. I sure know how you feel. Just spent the last 2 months getting my folks moved to the great nursing home in the Southwest...Phoenix. My Mom has cancer and my Dad is in real bad shape with COPD so neither one has long. I have 2 brothers there and my sister is moving there with them so after almost 40 years of taking care of their needs it's going to be someone else's turn. Feels weird though

Cypress, glad you are ok and admire you for putting your parents ahead of this board. Hope you get everything down to routine soon.

To all of you dealing with parents, spouses. children, etc. in nursing homes, hospitals, caring for them at home, you have my care and concern.
This is something that people can't understand if they haven't dealt with it.
I know that no two cases are the same, but it can get to the point that there may be things you just don't think you can do. That is when you just do it with the Grace of God. I mean this in a literal sense. Doesn't make it easy, but makes it 'do-able'. This is when I learned that this Grace is not just something to say, but it is a real thing.

Best to each and all of you.

It's very hard watching an aging parent deteriorate. I took an unplanned trip to Boise last weekend, when my mom was admitted to hosp. there and in CCU. At first, they thought she had both a serious blood infection and a dying small intestine. Although the cause of the blood infection is still unknown, she is responding well to massive doses of antibiotics, the bowel eschemia (sp?) turned out to be a non-issue. But it was touch and go for a couple of days. My pop is in pretty darn good shape, physically, but he's blind, so that limits what he can do. Have 2 sisters over there -- one 40 miles away and another 90 miles away -- that have been doing back/forth trips every day, and mom's sister also came immediately and will stay a couple of weeks. It's rough not being able to be there right now.

We moved my mom out to the farm to live a little over eight years ago, she was going blind and we knew it was just a matter of time. She did lose her vision but not her sense of humor and thankfully she was still sharp as a tack at 92. She took sick the end of May we though it was just the ole spring crude but it didn't get better to make a long story short she died on June 18th. I still can't beleive that she is gone, I miss her every day. I can tell you from experience taking care of your parents is an honor and you will never have any regrets. God bless you for what your doing.

Gizmom

Cypress, so good to see you here again! Lets me know you are okay.

Very sorry to hear of the issues with your parents. Never easy. I remember the last year my dad was living, he was 2 hrs from here and my off-farm job was 35 min in opposite direction. I put a lot of miles on that little car of mine. Most of the day-to-day fell on one of my brothers, the other 3 brothers live out-of-state, but my sister and I were there almost weekly and did over-nights on weekends to help out. I have no doubt that this is a stressful time for you. And I agree....family comes first!!

Its an awful shame you had to sell your dad's cattle, no doubt a difficult thing for you to do, but you did the right thing. Your plate is full enough.

Hang in there. And thanks for stopping by!

We're thinking about you.

Katherine

Good to see you stopped by for a visit, god will remember your deads with your folks. :tiphat:

If I remember correctly, you were battling some of your own health issues a couple years ago, how are you doing?

Please forgive me if I have you confused with someone else.

Alan

Alan":21q6nolx said:
Good to see you stopped by for a visit, god will remember your deads with your folks. :tiphat:

If I remember correctly, you were battling some of your own health issues a couple years ago, how are you doing?

Alan

Your memory is right Alan. In 2009 I had throat cancer, although I rarely drink and have never smoked.I've had 7 clear PET scans, and it looks like I've got it beat for now. In 2009 it was my dad who was there with me every day, taking care of my cows and horses, because I sure couldn't. All the harder for me to sell the cows at his place. I'll be there for anything and everything they need. My brothers are somewhat out of the picture, and know nothing about a farm, so that part falls on me. But, having to drive so far to put cows back in that have gotten out is not practical, and the money will help them.. So that was one thing that helped them and gave me one less thing to worry about.

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes. It's heartwarming for sure. Our family is no different than any others. We'll have to take this one day at a time. I'm glad that some of you have shared your stories, though :) Although nothing lately seems to be "fun", I'll do it all willingly; just as I hope my kids will do for me one day...

cypressfarms":wimvbyky said:
Alan":wimvbyky said:

Alan

Your memory is right Alan. In 2009 I had throat cancer, although I rarely drink and have never smoked.I've had 7 clear PET scans, and it looks like I've got it beat for now. In 2009 it was my dad who was there with me every day, taking care of my cows and horses, because I sure couldn't. All the harder for me to sell the cows at his place. I'll be there for anything and everything they need. My brothers are somewhat out of the picture, and know nothing about a farm, so that part falls on me. But, having to drive so far to put cows back in that have gotten out is not practical, and the money will help them.. So that was one thing that helped them and gave me one less thing to worry about.

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes. It's heartwarming for sure. Our family is no different than any others. We'll have to take this one day at a time. I'm glad that some of you have shared your stories, though :) Although nothing lately seems to be "fun", I'll do it all willingly; just as I hope my kids will do for me one day...

Good to hear your battle with cancer is a positive one! As far as your folks go ....... You're a good man. :tiphat:

Alan

We had missed you and a good member from TX recently gave me your number. Dummy me forgot to call then. Hope things settle down and you have a little extra time for these friends here.

cypressfarms":2raccwaz said:
HI all,

As some of the more veteran members may have noticed, I have taken yet another leave of abscence from the CT boards. I have some truly great friends here, and while I have a few minutes I wanted to apologize to you all.

I've had to put both of my parents in a nursing home. I guess you never know what lif throws at you. So I've been running between work, my family/household and my parents house and the nursing home. My work is about an hour and a half from the nursing home, so I've been running like crazy. I'm sure some of you have been through the same with parents/in-laws. This is my first go at this, and my brothers aren't close enough to help much, so the day to day falls on me.

I did make the decision to sell out my dad's cattle - just one less thing for me to worry about. \

So sorry to my good friends at CT, but I've been too busy to think of myself lately. You only have one mom and dad, and they are first priority now.

Cypress
`
Cypress vary your time you visit as well as the day you visit your parent's.
Get you a cheap disposable camera and carry with you every visit you wil be surprised how it changes your parent's care.
To many people use it as a dumping ground.
I put the nurse and superintendant of the home in prison she was writing script's on the patient's and selling the drug's.
Pay close attention to there Medicare statement's. I caught a bunch of pain killers on his bill and notified the police.
They put an undercover person in the home and caught them.

Glad you are alright. Is the nursing home the same as the one you sell meat to? If so, they will be eating well for sure.

We all would expect you to go the extra mile. That is just the type of person you are Cypress.

You won't regret it. I've lost both of mine. Worst part of it all was watching mom suffer in hospice for months. They did all they could to make her comfortable, but watching her suffer ripped me up. A helpless feeling. When she passed there was comfort knowing she was no longer suffering. Hard to explain. Hope you don't go through that part of it.

Clad you beat that cancer too. Mostly just glad to know you're okay. Been wondering how that bull worked out for ya.

Cypress, glad to see you back. Hope all goes well with your folks, and I do hope it relieves some stress in your life. We all have our ups and downs, and taking care of our parents when they get older is something not taken lightly. My hat is off to you in doing what you see fit to take care of those kinds of things in your life.

Latest posts