Where should we move to???

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Well, long story short, we are looking to relocate, for numerous different reasons, that i'd rather not get into.

But what I do want to get into (and get as much advice as possible) is where we should go.

Here's the general basics.

50-100 acres, approx. > 60% of it pasture/tillable
Need to be realistically within an hour of a large city (wife needs a hospital, dialysis center to work at)
Big plus if cattle ready, or decent start to a fence at least.
Doesn't necessarily have to have a home on it.
Although we wouldn't mind, can't be completely off grid/middle of nowhere, we have small children, etc. And i'm not exactly the ultimate survivor/MacGyver

Would like to be in an area that vet, AI tech, sale barn, etc. is fairly accessable. 60-90 min for most at max, I would guess, would be comfortable.

Areas in mind
Southwest ohio
central and western, northern Kentucky
southern Indiana?
central/ Eastern Missouri ?

Open to other states and regions, but I think bang for our buck, we wouldn't be able to go out west.

Cant be primo tillable, that would drive our acerage down too far because of price.

Have at it and let me know what yall think. Ask any other questions to help clarify, I didn't want to make my list too long and drug out.

OH, I almost forgot, has to be within 15 minutes of a Starbucks of course :lol: :lol: :hide: j/k

Look on Crowley's Ridge in Arkansas & Missouri. Lots of undeveloped land around me (see link), very reasonable price. It makes good pasture.

http://www.landwatch.com/Arkansas_land_ ... &r.PSIZ=50,

scenic-drive-in-arkansas-crowleys-ridge-parkway-ga-3.jpg

Central Texas.... Waco area and 50 miles around it. Got about anything you want. Waco is about 100,000 folks...all neighboring communities are small 500---3000 people. No state income tax in Texas and cost of living is very reasonable.

Around us currently, everything tillable/respectable is 8-10k per acre, 7 if you're lucky. Very hard to add acerage around here (at least for us) without cashing in too much retirement fund, we are pretty much land locked. Your average hunting ground around here is overpriced and in high demand too.

I'm not familiar with other regions going rates, but from some prices I've seen 3-5k in Kentucky and such. Am I correct? And we'd like to be fairly efficient in our cow per acre.

Any one had success buying cheaper land to clear and make into respectable pasture?

I appreciate the help everyone. The more information the better. This is a serious subject for us, and a very important one obviously. This 35 year old, going on 60 grumpy set in his ways German bred conservative is going to have a big possible change coming on his hands that will be quite a ways outside of his comfort box.

We have family in Rockford IL and St. Louis area. That does weigh in.

Also maybe check out Potosi/Farmington area maybe? Not far from the city if a drive isn't out of the question. Lot of cow ground in that area.

Oh, you didn't say you were German. You need to look at the area west of St Genevieve towards Farmington for sure then. She will have a drive though, to a major hospital most likely.

True Grit Farms":2rkxnl7f said:
I like where your at KT, and eastern KY. But it gets to cold for me in the winter.
I like it here but the land is too expensive for the productivity it allows. $3,000 an acre for a rock pile.
At Jeds in Arkansas the only rocks are gravel that's been hauled in.

Eastern Oklahoma is something you need to keep in mind. When we moved our list was fairly similar and it was a good fit for us.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota population 175,000 about 20 miles from both Iowa and Minnesota state borders.
South Dakota's largest city, it's located 80 miles North of Sioux City, Iowa and 250 miles South of Fargo, North Dakota

Good roads Interstate 90 and Interstate 29 intersect just a few miles away on the south and east side of Sioux Falls
South Dakota State University is located in Brookings 65 miles north of Sioux Falls
The few times I've been in Sioux Falls I've always enjoyed it and found the locals to be nice friendly people.
South Dakota has no state income tax... and it's farm land averaged $4,813 acre in 2016
Good pheasant hunting. Sioux Falls has a thriving cattle market and agriculture infrastructure.
Pipestone, Minnesota also has a large sale barn and is 50 miles Northeast of Sioux Falls.

The climate is nothing to fear, it's somewhat humid in the summer and more of a dry cold in the winter
26" of rain per year vs 47" for SW Illinois, snowfall is usually moderate in accumulation averaging 44" per year
average of 18 days per year above 90 degrees and 26 days per year when lows go -0
Roughly 500 miles from Chicago ... Sioux Falls violent crime rate is 1/2 the average of the usa

Here is a 75 acre farm for sale by auction July 12th located in the same county as Sioux Falls
43 acres tillable plus 32 acres in grass and building site... one tract and will not be split for sale
I would expect this farm land to bring well over the state average.
3,000 sq ft 4 bedroom home with attached 3 car garage
outbuildings 32'x42' machine shed 48'x72' cattle shed 12'x48' horse barn

https://wiemanauction.com/auction-info.php?id=296#

It's hard for me to believe anyone would want to leave the People's Republic of Illinois! Seriously, I love it here, but the Chicago Machine has ruined our state. Don't blame you, I've considered it too. Look on Craigslist, seems there's always a lot of nice farms for sale in Missouri.

talltimber":18wlggzz said:
Also maybe check out Potosi/Farmington area maybe? Not far from the city if a drive isn't out of the question. Lot of cow ground in that area.

Oh, you didn't say you were German. You need to look at the area west of St Genevieve towards Farmington for sure then. She will have a drive though, to a major hospital most likely.

That was the same area I was going to mention. Potosi can have some rough ground, but it's decent for cattle. De Soto area has some options, and you are about 10 minutes from 4 lane highway that will get you into the major hospitals within 45 minutes.

I'd be open to KS, OK, and other great plains. But no matter how convincing I can be, my wife will always think that spiders and tornadoes are two of the most dangerous things on this earth. :roll:

Latest posts