Where does it go????????

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H":1llzt8lj said:
angie":1llzt8lj said:
angie":1llzt8lj said:
And, under ANY circumstance, is waste water "cleaned" and put back into the water supply that we drink out of?
Well, is it?

Well, first off, what do you think the astronauts drink? And as others said, it is cleaned enough to be discharged into the river and the next city downstream pulls it out to put it into their water supply.

Guess that's probably very very true...anyway, not nearly as bad as stopping to get a good cold drink out of the creek when it's 100 degrees...afterward wading up the creek and you walk up on a dead rotting calf in the creek. (God that cold water was good anyway) :lol: :lol:

Water from a properly operating sewage treatment plant is clean enough to drink, as regards e-coli. The trouble is more like oil and chemicals which get flushed. That stuff is bad news. Lots of folks still have an "out of sight, out of mind" mindset when it comes to what they flush. Especially when the cops are knocking on the door.

angie":3u3jcull said:
Chris H":3u3jcull said:
Well, first off, what do you think the astronauts drink?
I thought they drank Tang. :(
Every day that goes by they add less of the "tang" mix, but it still has the same color.

TexasBred":1v74ls69 said:
Chris H":1v74ls69 said:
Well, first off, what do you think the astronauts drink? And as others said, it is cleaned enough to be discharged into the river and the next city downstream pulls it out to put it into their water supply.

Guess that's probably very very true...anyway, not nearly as bad as stopping to get a good cold drink out of the creek when it's 100 degrees...afterward wading up the creek and you walk up on a dead rotting calf in the creek. (God that cold water was good anyway) :lol: :lol:

Man ain't that the truth! I've had that happen once or twice, but it was natural spring on the property rather than a creek. And you're right, that cold was still good - once I got the gag reflex under control! :lol: :lol: Something else I learned growing up - if you're thirsty enough, it doesn't matter if there is moss floating on the water! It can be pushed aside, and that cold water is heavenly! ;-) :nod:

We get sludge applied to some of our fields that are pretty close to a relatively big town. The city actually comes out and applies it, i guess the county health department is behind this. After they apply it, they often advise us to stay out of the fields for about a month (like walking around). The nasties thing that I ever saw spread was a few tampons.

kenny thomas":nbsjzgtt said:
Texasbred, the oldtimers here always said thet if the water flowed over three rocks it was clean. Maybe in the old days.

I can assure you that is not true. I used to think that myself but I can assure you this is not true. Picture this, a nieve wouldbe believer fishing and camping on a "pristine" stream drinking the pure water as he enjoyed nature only to find a dairy 1/2 mile upstream from camp. :shock: Can you say amoebic dysentary? A bullet to the brain would have been welcome. :nod:

msscamp":3ufueob6 said:
TexasBred":3ufueob6 said:
Chris H":3ufueob6 said:

Man ain't that the truth! I've had that happen once or twice, but it was natural spring on the property rather than a creek. And you're right, that cold was still good - once I got the gag reflex under control! :lol: :lol: Something else I learned growing up - if you're thirsty enough, it doesn't matter if there is moss floating on the water! It can be pushed aside, and that cold water is heavenly! ;-) :nod:

Absolutely...when you're dieing from the heat and thirst what's a little pond scum gonna hurt. The water is clear and cold underneath. ;-)

john250":2gha0cms said:
angie":2gha0cms said:
angie":2gha0cms said:
And, under ANY circumstance, is waste water "cleaned" and put back into the water supply that we drink out of?
Well, is it?

No, it isn't.

Not necessarily so. There are a lot of waste treatment plants that dump the water into a river and then down river the water is then collected and treated as drinking water by someone else

Americans are too squeamish. We'd all be better off if we got more exposure to bugs.

My brother operates a portapotty and septic pumping business. Pumping crap all day and hasn't gotten sick. He said one day he had a pump blow up on him and got a full face full of crap from the migrant farm workers. Just like a free vaccination.

The solution to pollution is dilution. If one spreads out the crap and pee so sunlight can kill bugs, and nitrogen, phosphorus, etc, can be utilized by plants before it gets into the water, that's best. That's the problem with feedlots, dairies, etc - too concentrated. I bought some sheep from a guy near here a few years ago. He lives by a military base and was trying to blame the base for the nitrates in his well water. I asked if he'd considered the 300 sheep pissing in a small lot over his well as a possible source. Nitrates come from urine.

Urine is essentially sterile. I've read in Sweden they have urine diverting toilets, so household pee goes in a tank and farmers collect it to fertilize their fields as shown here:
http://www.liquidgoldbook.com/index.html

So it's a good thing to have guys out marking their territory.

think of it like this angie Be GLAD you live way way up north. Just think of the pollution in the water, getting more and more polluted as it keeps coming south. by the time it gets down here, you can imagine how yucky it is! At least your water doesnt have as much population north of you to pee in it!

Latest posts