Where do you sell your calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

OK, Campground Cattle, maybe "evil" was a little over the top, but whenever the subject comes up someone will inevitably say that the only thing you get at a sale barn is somebody else's problem. That the only stock offered for sale is wild, sick, infertile, old, etc. etc. My point is that the premise is just wrong. As several others have stated, auctions are a good option for selling and buying, as long as you are comfortable with the process. I also enjoy going to the sales even if I don't buy or sell a thing. I confess, however, that I never considered it a place to meet girls.
I have no axe to grind with anyone. I won't be critical of people that don't choose to utilize the sale barn option and I would hope that they would return the favor. That's all.[/quote]

Salebarns are great if you have a good one close to you. We have some and I have bought and sold at them. my neighbor sales everything through superior and swears by them. He does get a great price and he does not have to worry about shipping them. Oh yea, superioir is a video sale. A rep comes and tapes your cattle and then they are sold at an auction by the video tape. There are alot of different ways to sell cattle, it just depends on how big you are. I would not buy any cows or replacemnts at a salebarn though. If they were that good of a replacment, they would not of left the farm. If they are a cow, there is a reason that they are there! Just my opinion.

J+

This is ridiculous.
Buying cattle from an individual will cost
you an arm and a leg. (every farmer thinks
his cattle are worth top dollar) I've looked into
that option a dozen times.
Salebarn cows are preg checked and lots cheaper.
I buy BM cows and Old cows that are energetic when they
come through the ring.
I let them raise a calf to weaning weight and sell
them both.(My cows usually sell at a heavier wieght because of how
well I feed them.)This also leads to a higher price/lb from the
slaughter buyers than what I paid/lb for thin cows.

In the last 6 years I have done this with over 100 cows,
and have yet to do worse than a break even animal.
lunker

This is exactly one of my programs. Buy thin bred cows. Calf them out, in the fall sell both the cow and the calf. If the cow raises an out standing calf I will keep her. If not I ship her and I have never failed to at least break even. Give me a condition score 3.5 cow that has lice and is 6 or 7 months bred in January, I will make money on her everytime. I get her cheap. The big boys don't want to mess with her and the backyarders think she is sick or too ugly. I take her home and run her through the chute, worm and vacinate her. Feed her good for the rest of the winter and send her to grass. You wouldn't recognize her in the fall.
There is two reasons I raise cattle. One is I enjoy working with them. The other is to make money. This system works both ways for me.
Dave

I've been following this discussion and have enjoyed reading the posts. I've learned a little about how some folks market their cattle. Very good discussion.

I brought up the topic because I wondered how people sell their cattle when so many on this board trash the salebarn. If the salebarn is so bad and has just bad cattle, then the cattle you are taking must be some of the bad. :)

As I suspected and think that I have proven, is that the crowd, that trashes the salebarn regularly, must be a very vocal minority since most of us sell our cattle through the salebarn. Please keep up the discussion on how you market and sell your cattle.

I agree with everything that you are saying about the above ideas on cows. That is your way and it seems like it works well for you. i know some people that do the same things and have done very well. Myself, I raise all of my replacements and just keep switching bulls. But I don't have very many cows that are goofy, have calving problems, and have bad teats. When I was younger I bought a Hereford cow with a calf on her side for dirt cheap. I kept here locked up until grass and gave her some TLC and for the next 6 years she raised me a group of nice black baldie calves. I also bought some that you always saw from a distance, like to create problems come working time, and was always mad at the world. I sale my calves that I don't keep at the sale barn. i was just stating an idea or thought that had not been brought up. But I stand by my statement that for the most part there is a reason cows are at the salebarn at least in my area!

J+

la4angus.":2hzysez7 said:
Use angus you don't have to sell them they sell themself.

Because I am truly trying to learn how others market their cattle, I'd love for you to expand upon your comment. Are you saying that you neither advertise, take to the sale barn, etc? Are you saying that people come to you and buy all of your cattle that are for sale and you don't market at all?

lazyhill":gttbrl07 said:
la4angus.":gttbrl07 said:

Because I am truly trying to learn how others market their cattle, I'd love for you to expand upon your comment. Are you saying that you neither advertise, take to the sale barn, etc? Are you saying that people come to you and buy all of your cattle that are for sale and you don't market at all?

Sounds like he's just bragging on his breed of choice. Aren't we all guilty of that?

Think he means the angus paint signs on their sides and walk themselves up to the highway. Probably flash a little thigh to get attention.

lazyhill":1vim1jeg said:
la4angus.":1vim1jeg said:

la4angus.":evreyk40 said:

To set the Record straight; the above is not my post. I am a registered participant and some one got by the computer.

I think that yesterday, someone had a post attributed to laangusJR, that was deleted before I had a chance to view it.

Very interesting, I bet if it could be checked the other poster used the number 1 or better yet a capital I. Sneakey devil.

The post the other day by la4angusjr was just silly, it repeated over and over campgroundloveslarangus or the other way around.

la4angus":31byms9y said:
la4angus.":31byms9y said:

To set the Record straight; the above is not my post. I am a registered participant and some one got by the computer.

I think that yesterday, someone had a post attributed to laangusJR, that was deleted before I had a chance to view it.

Thanks Cherokee
There is getting to be more smart asses on here.
Just another reason to be registered. Then whoever is doing this kind of stuff can be identified. If Macon wants to put a stop to it, then he could. :lol: :lol:

It's that period at the end of the name that did it.
I don't think there is really any way around jerks doing stuff like that. All the more reason for an avatar, that can identify the real thing from the whanabees

dun

cherokeeruby":x5gqobla said:
Very interesting, I bet if it could be checked the other poster used the number 1 or better yet a capital I. Sneakey devil.

The post the other day by la4angusjr was just silly, it repeated over and over campgroundloveslarangus or the other way around.

la4angus":x5gqobla said:
la4angus.":x5gqobla said:

Personally, I don't thini it is Oregonian. Maybe I am mistaken, but I don't think he is that smart.

Dun,

I think I understand better after thinking it thru...sales directly to the feedlot probably gives you top dollar and less aggrivation.

The sale barn is a tool for those around me...and maybe farther that i travel to go there...we have never sold an animal there because someone always wants freezer beef.

I do think the cow/calf and preg cow animals are good and honest at special sales. and i just say to anyone that sells them as that and it is not true "shame on you"

i hope there is a cattle farmers ethics...and it just makes me sick to think that guy was going to take his "johnes infected cow and calf to sale"...that post mysteriously disappered...anyway..

i hope were all just honest people trying to make a honest living.

donna

Thats the problem, it's not us honest folks you have to worry about, it's the crooks who don't want to work and only want a quick buck and will do anything / say anything to get it! I've always said thats what keeps me honest, scared of getting caught doing something wrong. I dont believe thieves have a conscience, or else they couldnt rip old folks / poor folks off like they do!

Anonymous":3ctqqtyt said:
Dun, i hope were all just honest people trying to make a honest living.

donna

dun":3nriym1j said:
A potload is a pot trailer, 47000 lbs. Our marketing group has been doing this for about 4 years, when we have any cattle to sell we send out flyers to feedlots that have bid before or have expressed an interest in the cattle.
Th why we get those kinds of responses is simple. We have developed a reputation for quality healthy cattle that have been vaccinated, backgrounded and co-mingled. No more then x%, I don;t know what the x number is because we aren't affected by it. Muscle score 1&2 and medium to large frame.
All bids are faxed back and are opened and evaluated at the same time. This was a program that originally was started in several places in MO by the University Extension Office @ Columbia. There were 4 or 5 set up in the state and there are only 2 still functioning. The other group doesn't alwasy have a group put together each year. Our group has 2 offerings a year, fall calves and spring calves.
http://agebb.missouri.edu/commag/beef/premierbeef/
may help explain it better.

dun

Tman":3nriym1j said:
Dun,

What is a potload lot and if it is not too much trouble can you explain how you were able to get 5 feedyards bidding on your lots ? Many thanx

Dun, Thank you for the web page, I found it very informative. Did you say you were retiring? Did you hand your business over to someone to run or did you just scale down ?

Latest posts