Where do you give a shot on a cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's the quick and dirty answer:

neck.jpg

Here's a more completely answer:
http://www.aragriculture.org/livestock/ ... operly.htm

dun

So, why would you give a shot for a limp?

Sometimes they get kicked or stepped on while they are laying down. Cows are tough - she'll get over it fine without any help. I once had a young calf that was kicked in the back leg. She limped for weeks. The first week, she couldn't keep up with the herd, but certain herd members would come back for her and walk with her to the stopped herd (weird). When I took her to the sale at weaning she could run and jump with the best of them.

The caveat to that is if she is limping from a difficult birth or she is show stock. But, then again, if she is up and walking, so what? She'll either get better or she won't. If she doesn't, she has a pinched nerve and most likely won't be able to calve very easily again.

Just something to think about. Sometimes cattle owners jump in too quick to try to solve a problem that usually works itself out on its own.

Dun -

That's a good point. I forgot about foot rot. It has been so dry here foot rot hasn't been a problem. I guess we would have to know where the "limp" is, uh? I mean it depends if the soreness is high or low. Doesn't foot rot pain look like the cow has hot feet - walks like we do when walking on hot pavement in bare feet?

Dusty Britches":1s0uf8wy said:
Dun -

That's a good point. I forgot about foot rot. It has been so dry here foot rot hasn't been a problem. I guess we would have to know where the "limp" is, uh? I mean it depends if the soreness is high or low. Doesn't foot rot pain look like the cow has hot feet - walks like we do when walking on hot pavement in bare feet?

Since number one we don;t have pavement and number two I don;t go barefoot I couldn;t say. Sometimes you cna tell from the way they walk or stand, other times it's hard to tell. If they stand with a hind foot pretty much infrot of the other it's normally more of a joint problem, hip probably, then foot rot. The only time we have had a footrot problem was when it was dry.

dun

Dun, this brings to mind a question I have about the area around the water tank, it is always a soggy mess with the water running over or from them taking in on one end and dispensing from the other.

I am thinking about in the near futur building new water tank area and using gravel around them and building them up so they will drain. ??? will the gravel bother them, or is there a better approach.

C HOLLAND":2ywkipn1 said:
Dun, this brings to mind a question I have about the area around the water tank, it is always a soggy mess with the water running over or from them taking in on one end and dispensing from the other.

I am thinking about in the near futur building new water tank area and using gravel around them and building them up so they will drain. ??? will the gravel bother them, or is there a better approach.

Boy, now that's a whole new can of worms. We use 2 inch rock around our permanent waterers. One is conrete but it's hardley ever used and the whole area is limestone road base. Back to the 2 inch rock. We use it and smallish enclosures around the waterers so only a few cows can have access at one time. They don;t like standing on the larger rock and they don;t like to lay on it all that much either. Seems to help, except in the winter when everything is a muddy mess anyway. But our water points are set up with a fly mop at the entrance so that the cows and calves get wiped with permectrin & diesel everytime the go in and out. Usually only a couple of cows come up for water at a time, get a drink then go shade up during the sunniest part of the hottest days.
It's one of those deals that works for us and has for a good number of years but may not be practicale or work for anyone else.

dun

You WANT the grave to bother them - so they get up there, drink and get out of the way. Bigger rock in concrete works better in my opinion. Gravel just gets scattered and tromped into the mud if you hav it (why is your water overflowing? - use a float valve of some kind)

we have all of our waterers on a small concrete pad that sticks out about 2 feet farther than the waterers, and LARGE (2" or better) gravel out about 4-5 feet from the end of the concrete. It stays there, doesn't get mucky unless the ground is frozen, and works real well. Hope it helps.... :)

C HOLLAND":37nbfl6m said:

Why not just install a float to keep the tank from running over in the first place?

Latest posts