Where do you get your drugs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Fortunately, I have a large vet office and they offer "drop ship" orders. If over $300, we get a discount and no shipping charge. Get it next day (except weekends).
I generally try to order a year's supply of "stuff" but we all know that never really works out. But, it isn't difficult to get the total order up over $300. I can order Rx, vaccines, AI supplies, eartags, etc - just about anything from one catalog.

Where do you get yours?

Primarily from my vet but will order from Valley Vet or Jeffers if my vet is out of something. It may be a little more but Valley Vet doesn't come out to the ranch in the middle of the night or take a frantic call during a holiday weekend.

I use my vets for all drugs that require an RX. For the rest I spread it out among local feed store, vets, Atwoods and Valley Vet.

Valley Vet and a Vet Clinic in my state that is a significant distance from me but has a large inventory, competitive prices and ships overnight gratis regardless of weight or volume of vaccine's ordered. Occasionally use Jeffers but time in transit for non perishable items and the fact they screwed up an overnight vaccine order twice is a deal killer.

Luckily I haven't needed antibiotics in a long time but have and "old" bottle of Micotil handy. Vaccines come from vet. Feed store has little or nothing other than LA-200, Blackleg vaccine and puppy meds.

Most of my orders are placed at PBS animal health. I get wormer, vaccines, AI supplies, and general vet supplies from them.
My local vet sells me prescription drugs at a highly marked up price. Makes synchronizing a small group expensive.
But I doubt he would write me a script to buy it from someone else. And he has to make a living also.

Kyguy - you are the first to say PBS. That is where I used to buy everything. Had an old vet that used to write me scripts. I can pop into my vets office and get anything needed, but the drop ship order thru my vet saves me money and yes, I agree with supporting the vets office.

I use to use Valley Vet a lot when I lived on the coast. Now I use Oregon Trail Livestock Supply in Baker. To say they have a large supply would be an understatement. They have a walk in cooler for nothing but vaccine.

I use Leedstone for most stuff. Jeffers for syringes and needles.
We're still building a relationship with the new vet, so we're still on his fall schedule while he's less busy and to travel the distance he has to I'm not complaining.

Valley Vet usually but Animal Health Int. when I need a bunch. When its hot like it is now, I don't trust the delivery on the refrigerated stuff so I buy it at the feed store and pay a little more. Prescrip drugs come from a vet office that sells just slightly higher to Valley Vets price.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Kyguy - you are the first to say PBS. That is where I used to buy everything. Had an old vet that used to write me scripts. I can pop into my vets office and get anything needed, but the drop ship order thru my vet saves me money and yes, I agree with supporting the vets office.

PBS has always had great customer service. Another big plus is if I place my order before noon my package is sitting on the porch the next day.

It depends on what it is, I get a lot of our basic vaccines and La 200 and 300 at our local Southern States. I do like to purchase vaccines from our vet though and when its convenient I try to plan ahead and do that, as his office is another county. I used to order a lot from Jeffers and still do on occasion, have always been satisfied with them, but our Southern states is within a couple miles making it pretty handy.
I have never used PBS, but have heard someone speak highly of it and they mentioned the fast shipments too.

Wanted to add to my original post. RX doesn't apply but I buy a lot of things like LA300, Cydectin, Sustain, calving supplies (replacer, lube, etc), electrolytes, basic necessities from a local CoOp. Usually they're a little more than purchasing online or at a farm store but not a significant amount and I want to support our community. Plus the convenience is worth it and you don't get better customer service.

I have ordered needles/syringes, miscellaneous supplies from PBS and they do have fast shipments. Plus they mail out a big fat catalogue every couple months, which I enjoy perusing.

That brings up a different subject. Can any of you buy needles & syringes without any kind of permit??
When I first moved here, in order to buy them I had to apply for a farm permit. Might be something that is way outdated or just NY specific. As it turns out, needles & syringes are an item I purchase bulk for our membership thru a company in VA.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
That brings up a different subject. Can any of you buy needles & syringes without any kind of permit??
When I first moved here, in order to buy them I had to apply for a farm permit. Might be something that is way outdated or just NY specific. As it turns out, needles & syringes are an item I purchase bulk for our membership thru a company in VA.

Seriously? I thought that was only in CA. I buy at least 300-400 needles & syringes at a time, no permit.

Latest posts