Where do you buy your meds?

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Where do you usually buy your meds and vaccinations? Through your vet, a store, or online? We don't have much for livestock stores around here so I usually buy online from American Livestock Supply but am wondering if there are cheaper places out there.

We get ours from the vet, easiest way for us. May pay a little more but if you only need 10cc of something why buy 100cc to get the per dose cost down then throw away the rest.

Vet clinic. I do most all my own vet work (aka don't spend much on vet bills) so in order to keep me and him on good terms I try to buy everything I can at the clinic.

Everybody around here sells the stuff. All the feed stores and TSC carry them. When I need serious meds, I get them from my vet. He's got the good stuff...

We try to buy everything we can from the vet. Once in a while I buy some otc stuff like La200 and electrolytes at the feed store or TSC :frowns: . When we worked our cows in the spring I priced everything from Valley Vet and our local vet, saved $42 buying it here compared to Valley Vet, that was buying Virashield, Pikeye, Blackleg, wormer, and a box each of syringes and needles. We are a small operation of less than 30 head but still saved money and I like supporting a local business when ever possible without having to pay a fortune more.

We buy the OTC stuff at our local store, penicillin, Oxy LA and Blackleg vaccine. And electrolytes and such there too.

The important (prescription) stuff we get at the vet, Nuflor, BVD vaccine, and any specialty drugs, and all our CCIA eartags. He is pretty reasonably priced on most stuff, and is cheaper on the eartags than anywhere I have found.

I have purchased at the local Co-op. But now I order most everything for my cattle, horses, and dog on line through Allivet. I do get dewormer (Ivomec-Plus injectable) through Jeffers. A 500ml bottle for $169.00. Horse dewormer at horse.com (years worth for one horse is $19.99). I have not checked my local vet to see how I would come out on price before. But all the vets in my county have gotten away from treating cattle except one. They say it's hard to work on cattle at someones farm whos equiptment is so shabby that they , the owner, or animal can get hurt trying to treat it. Of course it's hard work outside with these animals anyway when you could be inside your cool/warm/dry/ comfortable office caring for someone's dog for more profit. I understand it.

I buy most mine from the locall store. But that's fifty miles away. They have a variety. There is a shortage of vets around here ( Most old timers and have other priorities/others like BARNSCOOP said would rather work on a puddy cat then a 1200-1300 snottin mean crazy momma) There is a new vet in town that does large animals he is great and I will always price things through him first. I'm not gonna spend more just to buy from him though. Usually the vac's have a year or two year expieration date; so buyin more than you need would be a plus since bigger bottles are cheaper by the dose. If it's a modified live than you don't have that option. If you can get free delivery through an online store it is usually cheaper for me but with the frieght added it's not worth the time. And yes I have figured the time and gas to go to town and buy them.

LoveMoo11":3b9w3pka said:
Where do you usually buy your meds and vaccinations? Through your vet, a store, or online? We don't have much for livestock stores around here so I usually buy online from American Livestock Supply but am wondering if there are cheaper places out there.

I usually buy from the vet too. Like Dun mentioned, you can get a single dose if needed. But more importantly, I get some free advice from the vet and new products are often coming out that the vet will educate me on.

Latest posts