Where Do They Go?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't mind taking a chance on a cow from the market from time to time if I really like her, but it's just that-a chance. But the market is the wrong place to buy bulls in my opinion. Don't matter how good they look, they're there for a reason.

cfpinz

rkm":wvv0q9so said:
They call them sale barns not buy barns. If you buy at sale barn you are asking for it.

This is not a true statement if you no what your doing there is lots of money to be made with short/solid cows as well as brokenmouths. There is a many a cattleman that paid the mortage and sent the kids off to school on this type of cattle.
This is were the hobby boys and wantabees had better leave the buying to cattlemen.

Caustic Burno":2lckyevp said:
rkm":2lckyevp said:
They call them sale barns not buy barns. If you buy at sale barn you are asking for it.

This is not a true statement if you no what your doing there is lots of money to be made with short/solid cows as well as brokenmouths. There is a many a cattleman that paid the mortage and sent the kids off to school on this type of cattle.
This is were the hobby boys and wantabees had better leave the buying to cattlemen.

100 percent in agreement on that. some things are for people with Cattle in their Blood, this is one of them.

Thanks Caustic - for the voice of reason. We have done quite well using the local sale barn. Gotta know what you're doin' but can be done.

about the bull I picked out. Got in the pen with him, walked around him/his buddies, watched him get seperated, etc. In the ring with the auctioneer hollering and such he was a perfect gentleman. Wrote the check, helped load him myself, he was calm and gentle. Drove an hour or so home, unloaded him in my barn and he tried to tear the barn down. We left him alone for a couple hours, went back to check on him, he was still running around the barn with snot slinging. When he saw me walk in, he slammed into the gate in front of me as hard as he could. Made up my mind right quick

That bull could have been doped up. Seems real questionable probably an EXT bull.

This is were the hobby boys and wantabees had better leave the buying to cattlemen

I bought a bunch of old broken mouth cows out of the ring for dirt cheap and made a killing on them over the next couple years. You would be shocked how many bred cows come through being sold for killers. Buy them, preg check them and sell the opens back and keep the bred ones. I know a guy who bought 300 killers out of the ring. Turned them out on the mountain. Gathered them in the fall and had 50 calves. Seems like a good business oppritunity if somebody is interested.

Buy a great cow and sell it later as a great cow. Make a little profit.

Buy a wormy run down poor cow and sell it later for a great cow. Make a lot of profit.

Trick is knowing which ones this will work for.

Caustic Burno":3asf8dfm said:
rkm":3asf8dfm said:

absolutly true! nor are all barns and sellers out to shaft the buyer, sellers may make the barn the money but if buyers quit showing up after getting shafted the barn makes no money!
buying at the barn can be risky for someone with little knowledge but there is HONEST money to be made as well
imo

Latest posts