Where do Tarentaise fit best in a 3X cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr Massey. You must have started feeling anonymous.....and that you could say anything you want since you're on the internet, and must have felt that you're faceless. If you wanted to be able to say anything you want and not have someone teach you some manners, you should have kept your personal info to yourself. Just a FYI, don't be too surprised when someone pulls up to your front door and says, "it's lesson time"...

Gators Rule":211x9erc said:
Mr Massey. You must have started feeling anonymous.....and that you could say anything you want since you're on the internet, and must have felt that you're faceless. If you wanted to be able to say anything you want and not have someone teach you some manners, you should have kept your personal info to yourself. Just a FYI, don't be too surprised when someone pulls up to your front door and says, "it's lesson time"...
Really?? That comment isn't any less childish than the remarks you seem upset over.

I quit making any comment at all on anything MF135 says months ago, and I won't comment now on anything he said in this thread. But I agree that he feeds on the attention; and the more he gets, the more he's encouraged to continue the game.

MO_cows":qqi3oxsf said:
Showing71, more nice stock!! So I assume you are selling some of those nice halfblood heifers, do you know how they are using them? A third breed or back to Angus?
Most go to outfits that are using black Angus or Simmental bulls, and are keeping the heifers out of these F1 cows for replacements. We have had people in the past use Charolais bulls on them for a strictly terminal calf and were very happy with the outcome. I've seen them crossed with Hereford also for nice red baldy replacements.

heath":9ksm5tot said:
Gators Rule":9ksm5tot said:
Really?? That comment isn't any less childish than the remarks you seem upset over.

Really?? Bummer... :roll:

I would have tarentaise X red angus F1 cows bred to a herford for replacements and Black simm for terminal. Just ignore Massey, all that stupid gives me a migrain.

I typically breed my Tarentaise to small birthweight black angus bulls for a terminal F1 cross -- they generally sell well at the auction barn, although a local guy liked my two 2011 heifers so much he bought both of their black hides for his commercial herd (I agree with MO_cows that if you breed Tarentaise to homozygous polled black angus, you'll have hornless black by weaning, although their baby coat my have red streaks).

I read in an AI magazine a couple of years ago that industry wanted a continental x British bred back to black angus. I experimented this year and bred the older cow to a small birthweight polled hereford, and of course she gave me a red bull with a white splash on his face (do you call that a "meckle?"). But the intent was to have a Tarentaise/polled herf heifer for hybrid vigor, straight backs with a smaller frame, and plenty of milk. While a lot of people do use Red Angus on Tarentaise, I think the RA and BA are too genetically similar (they were the same breed not that long ago) and any hybrid vigor in the F1 would be quickly countered when bred back to Black Angus in the next generation. I would expect that the resulting continental black baldie (1/4 Tarentaise, 1/4 polled herf, 1/2 black angus) to have some residual hybrid benefits, certainly more than the traditional British black baldie.

Of course, I'm on a small acreage in Virginia and my breeding objective is for smaller, efficient cows for an annual cash return. Your mileage may vary. I would imagine that you could use any continental cow in place of a Tarentaise in that mix and get similar results.

Latest posts