Where do Tarentaise fit best in a 3X cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

The Tarentaise and Tarentaise crosses I see here get discounted big time for the Jersey markings. And it happens no matter how beefy they look. I would be nervous using them at any point unless I planned to retain ownership clear to harvest.

No experience, but I've actually been thinking about it. I think they DO NOT belong as terminal sire. So sire or dam of the F1s is the main question. What other breeds did you have in mind? I think it could make a difference.

What if you took a good Red Angus cow and cover her with a Tarentaise bull for an F1? Based on pictures I saw, this cross takes all the markings off and you have a solid red cow. Save the F1 crossbred heifers and cross with a terminal bull - pick about any homo black bull. I would probably do Simmental or maybe Gelbvieh. A little more continental in the whole mix than I would like, but if you wanted to use Tarentaise, I would think it would work.

What black "covers" depends if the black parent is homozygous. The dark cow on the right is out of a breed color Tarentaise cow and sired by a black bull who wasn't homozygous. She is way darker than the breed color but didn't turn all the way black.

100_1877.jpg

Massey, you are entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

Showing71, I'd like to see pics of your crossbreds, too.

Massey135":2l3htegb said:
Taurus":2l3htegb said:
Massey135":2l3htegb said:
Red cows with dark noses are ugly.
so are Shorthorns but hey it's an opinion right?
Hey I got one for ya.... What sound does a cow make?
Ok Massey135, I am very offended about what you said. It doesn't make you a real man when you prey on my disability. You are very sick sociopath and needs have your butt kicked by your old man a long time ago. No wondering why you don't have friends to help out you with the ranch, you are just a huge worthless jerk to everyone! Now get off your mom's breast and quit being a spoiled rotten brat.

That makes you a racist and a sociopath.

Latest posts