Where did this thing come from?

Help Support CattleToday:

Highgrit, when the calf gets weaning size let me know because I know someone who might pay you top dollar for that calf. She collects calves with character and that one is right up her alley.

Alright then I have a couple of other questions. What are the odds of having calves chromed up like this one? We've had 11 calves out of our Simi - Hereford bull so far, and that's the only calf like that. My next question is, can a calf like this come from our Angus cows? I'm happy with our Simi - Hereford bulls calves, but I'm not real thrilled with this calf. My last question is, will a horned Hereford bull throw chromed up calves also?
Jogeephus, that would be great. Does she want a bull or steer calf? He's still a boy for now.

Odds are 1 in 8 for as chromed up a calf as this (hereford + simmental spotting). Yes it can happen with any of your Sim cross cows as long as they carry the spotting gene and are crossed with that same Hereford bull. As for Angus cows, no none of their calves should be as spotted UNLESS something else is in the cow's mix.
Aprille

Used some traditional red/yellow & white Simmental bulls back in the '80s. Have mostly black cows, some with white faces, some with some chrome on the underline, that have multiple crosses of Angus on top of those Simmental-influenced cows... I know the spotting gene is sliding along, unexpressed, in some of the solid color cows...just like the horn & scur genes... have gotten a few spotty calves and some horns, the last few years, using solid red Shorthorn bulls, some of which are hetero polled.

highgrit":v470pgrv said:
Jogeephus, that would be great. Does she want a bull or steer calf? He's still a boy for now.

I don't think she really cares. I was using about the same breeds as you and one of my cows threw one of these chromed up things. I just knew I would be screwed at the sale but this lady's husband saw it in the field and approached me about buying it for her birthday present. She collects them more as pets and likes the one's with character and I know she would like that one for sure.

Jogeephus":1t8pyyd6 said:
highgrit":1t8pyyd6 said:

I don't think she really cares. I was using about the same breeds as you and one of my cows threw one of these chromed up things. I just knew I would be screwed at the sale but this lady's husband saw it in the field and approached me about buying it for her birthday present. She collects them more as pets and likes the one's with character and I know she would like that one for sure.

Cut him he will make a real purty Ox.

highgrit":h6v0l7q6 said:
3waycross , I've been holding off cutting him in case CG8 needs a new herd sire.

You know this means you are going straight to the devil some day. Leave that poor girl alone :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

To much white for Fleck in my opinion..

Looks like some old school Beefmaster. I have a couple older gals that look like that.

Check the Sunday paper for some coupons and get you some black hair color, give him a once over right before you put him on the truck. CAB in a bottle ;-)

Latest posts