Where can I go to get my hands on some Myostatin cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The breed doesn't matter so much I just want them to have that awesome Myostatin mutation. I've got some clients interested in purchasing bulls/cows/semen/embryos but I can't seem to find a good directory with several options of myostatin cows.

I raise Piedmontese and have never ran across a directory like that. You will probably need to get breed specific and look from there.

Pieds, Belgian Blues would be your best bet, but the double-muscling genes are present in other breeds - you could introduce it into your herd from more conventional sources. I suspect that some of the full-French Limousin and Charolais have one or more of the genes.
OCC Prototype 847P and Vermilion X-Factor are two Angus bulls that I'm aware of as M1 carriers...probably some others out there as well.

Limousin often have the F94L myostatin gene. It most often occurs in red Limis, but can occur in blacks. Some breeders are testing and posting results as to if the animal has one or two copies of the gene. Wulf is one I know of off the top of my head that tests their seedstock and has several AI bulls available with one or two copies of F94L. I think Symens Brothers Limousin also has AI sires that are tested for F94L.