Whens it too cold for a new calf to be outdoors?

Help Support CattleToday:

AudreyInMO

Reaction score
Im very new at this...just a couple hours into it. I was given a 2 week old calf whos momma did not accept her. She was a twin. What low temps is she able to tolerate. And what do I do when it gets too cold for her. She is currently in a pen with hay outside. I just put a blanket over the top of it hopin that would help insulate her. Im I just bein an over protective first time momma?

Cold should not be too much of an issue if the calf is 2 weeks old, but it should not be directly exposed to the elements since it is all alone. Cows generate a lot of "body heat" when together, but since your little one is alone it will have a hard time thermo regulating if exposed to direct weather. You really should build some sort of inexpensive shelter, or buy something.

So long as she is dry and has a wind break she should be fine. Both of those things are very important though. She needs dry bedding ~ could just be some hay or straw. How little is she? Sometimes a smaller calf, not necessarily newborn, but smaller due to being a twin, will have difficulty maintaining body temp but at 2 weeks I am thinking that that scare should be over.

She is eating good? Free choice calf feed and water for her aside from bottle?

Good luck and enjoy!

edit ~ I see HD has posted after me.
I would take her advise as I don't have near the experience with winter calves that she does.

How cold are your temps ?

Bottle calves need a lot of bedding and shelter as when it gets really cold they cannot just go to the warm milk bar and help themselves.

hillsdown":3v58rrpc said:
How cold are your temps ?

Bottle calves need a lot of bedding and shelter as when it gets really cold they cannot just go to the warm milk bar and help themselves.
Shouldn't be too bad yet HD, looks like she lives in Missouri.

Im in Southern Missouri, and the temps should drop to about 20 this evenin. Which is cold to me. Im noticing most of yall are somewhat North of me. Thank yall for sharing your knowledge and suggestions. I feel much better now.

You don't say what breed. Size/shape/hair cover will make a difference. A small skinny calf will be more susceptible to cold.
As others have said, shelter and a dry place to lie down, and the shelter should be effective regardless of wind direction.

As regolith said breed makes a difference.

I don't usually worry about or bed our Galloway calves until it is below zero. Ours never have access to a shed, windbreaks yes.

An orphaned calf , may need a lot more TLC.

If she is a twin she has to be small-as long as you have he ron good colustrum/milk replacer, and shelter, maybe feed her 3 times a day instead of 2 on the super cold days, she should be Ok, unless there is something wrong with her. Sometimes the Moms reject them for a reason-

In my expereince, the yo-yo temps are more of a problem than anything, as you would know here in SW MO. 50-60 degree temperature swings are really hard on young calves. I have a climate controlled barn I raise all my bottle calves in, none go outside until weaned, but not everyone can do that. Just make sure she has a nice, dry pen with plenty of area to stay out of the wind and not get wet. Helps to have a place out of the wind but still have access to sunlight to bask in the afternoons. Just my .02.

AudreyInMO":2n1yn9c0 said:
Im very new at this...just a couple hours into it. I was given a 2 week old calf whos momma did not accept her. She was a twin. What low temps is she able to tolerate. And what do I do when it gets too cold for her. She is currently in a pen with hay outside. I just put a blanket over the top of it hopin that would help insulate her. Im I just bein an over protective first time momma?

No, you are not being over-protective. The temps are not as big of a problem as the rain/snow. Your calf needs shelter so she doesn't get wet and chilled in bad weather - especially rain with wind. She also needs fairly deep bedding in that shelter so she isn't laying on cold ground. A calf with its mother can nurse regularly and the milk keeps it warm and helps to offset fluctuations due to weather. Her mother also provides body heat and provides a wind-break so to speak. Your calf does not have that, so you need to make sure she isn't out in the elements and has bedding to lay on. With shelter, a blanket is not neccesary and can cause her to overheat, causing pneumonia. A two week old calf can regulate her body temperature, so all you need to do is make sure she doesn't get wet and/or chilled. Don't take it to the extreme and put her in an enclosed barn, though. That presents other issues that can compromise her health. A simple 3-sided shed, calf hutch, or a hoop house will do what you need it to do very nicely.