When's Best Time to Milk Cow For Clostrum ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I would like to milk one of my cows with a new born calf,to have some clostrum on hand to freeze for emergency. How many days does a cow with a new calf make clostrum? and when would be the best time,keeping the new borns needs in mind,,and how long is it good for after frozen? Thanks.

[email protected]

The best colostrum is taken from the cow within that day that she calves. It is the richest in immunoglobulins at this time. As the days go by, the immunoglobulins start to go away that is in the colostrum. I work at a dairy barn and we keep the fresh cow's milk out of the tank for 3 days after calving because we don't want colostrum to go into the tank. As for freezing colostrum, freezing it within the hour from getting it is the best. I'm not sure exactly how long it will last while frozen, we generally try to use it up within the year.

> The best colostrum is taken from
> the cow within that day that she
> calves. It is the richest in
> immunoglobulins at this time. As
> the days go by, the
> immunoglobulins start to go away
> that is in the colostrum. I work
> at a dairy barn and we keep the
> fresh cow's milk out of the tank
> for 3 days after calving because
> we don't want colostrum to go into
> the tank. As for freezing
> colostrum, freezing it within the
> hour from getting it is the best.
> I'm not sure exactly how long it
> will last while frozen, we
> generally try to use it up within
> the year.

What amount of clostrum should a calf have before starting them on the milk supplement.Thanks Joe,Thanks all.

[email protected]

> What amount of clostrum should a
> calf have before starting them on
> the milk supplement.Thanks
> Joe,Thanks all.

One of my refernces says the calf should get colostrum within 30 to 45 minutes of birth anf have a gallon in the first 24 hours. I don't see any info on when the suppliment can be started.

[email protected]

I can't remember the exact amount we give each calf at the moment, but we give them a full bottle of colostrum within the first hour or 2 after they are born (its probably about a 2 litres or whatever a big bottle of pop can hold-thats what we freeze colostrum in), anyways we give the calves milk twice a day and they get colostrum for at least 2 days after they are born. 2-3 days is generally good to give colostrum for. For the first feeding of colostrum, most calves drink a full bottle while others may only drink half a bottle.

Latest posts