Whenb can I let her out

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I have a 2 month Holstein that is kept in the barn is it time to let her run with the cows. Is she safe from Predators. Coyotes etc,

lancemart":3q454fyb said:
I have a 2 month Holstein that is kept in the barn is it time to let her run with the cows. Is she safe from Predators. Coyotes etc,
you can let her out during the day.but if your worried about wild dogs or yotes id pen her up at nite.

I've always let my bottle calves run with the cows... from about 2 or 3 months on. They'll take care of them.

TheBullLady":3jdz9wqi said:
I've always let my bottle calves run with the cows... from about 2 or 3 months on. They'll take care of them.

Do the other cows knock the bottle calves around when you feed them. My buddy is having to supplement one on a heifer and every time he tries to feed it the other cows and even the Bull knock hell out of him and won't let him drink.

lancemart":18ka6z6l said:

A barn is the last place I would keep a calf, unless it had an attached run/pen, the door was open, and the calf was free to choose when she wanted to go in or out. Predators generally will not come up close to a house.

lancemart":1wwd12om said:

Depends how big your pasture area is and if you're near civilization or out in the middle of nowhere.

Oh what the heck...let the animal out...
The calf will hang with the other calves and yes it will get pushed around...that is the cold hard facts of herd behavior..not being mean just letting the little ones know what is expected and to get out of the way especially when it comes to feed.
Our have learned that running coyotes is fun, Old boss cow has taught the heifers that when a cow or three or five run at the coyotes they run for the fences ...they now run around our place. Dogs keep a safe distance too.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not. Dmc

Latest posts