When???

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a cow rebreed 3 weeks after calving before. It depends how easy the calving was and how good of condition the cow is in.

Thanks tlmcr but would you happen to have an average maybe..because the cow im going to buy we know when she had her last calf but i was needing a calving window

Before you buy, get her palpated by a good vet and see if she is pregnant and if she is, should be able to give a pretty good estimate of how far along she is.

Cooperative Extension Data says :
Interval to first heat after calving - avg 45 days, range 16 to 90+

Dixieangus":3aesgong said:
How soon can a cow get bred after she has a calf...

She will normally cycle again within 21 day or so, and can settle on her first post-partum cycle.

well i bought her she is so gentle and nice she is already bagging up so it wont be long...How long does it take from the time she starts bagging up until she has it.."she is a beef cow"

That varies, too. With a heifer, that means almost nothing. With an older cow it can be a little better indication. How bout the back end? Is she starting to get a little slack?
It is exciting to start seeing those signs. isn't it?

If you want a calf every year (365 days) then the cow must be bred by: 365 - 283 gestation = 82 days after calving (max)

If you want to allow two cycles to get bred then 82 - (2 x 21 day cycles) = 40 days.

So by this logic you should put the bull in with the cow about 40 days after calving to insure a calf every year. I put mine in at about 50 days from first herd calf this year

If you don't put the bull in about this time every year your calving date will gradually slip back further and further which is generally not a good thing.

Jim

SRBeef":134htd0h said:
If you want a calf every year (365 days) then the cow must be bred by: 365 - 283 gestation = 82 days after calving (max)

If you want to allow two cycles to get bred then 82 - (2 x 21 day cycles) = 40 days.

So by this logic you should put the bull in with the cow about 40 days after calving to insure a calf every year. I put mine in at about 50 days from first herd calf this year

If you don't put the bull in about this time every year your calving date will gradually slip back further and further which is generally not a good thing.
Jim
I'm going to respectfully disagree with your logic. I recommend putting the bull in when you want to have your first calves. Putting the bull in 50 days after you start calving will get calving started earlier every year. In a northern climate that won't fly. If you run a good program there will be no slipping in the calving dates. In most herds there is a very high percentage of cows calving in the first cycle once the bull is put in. I don't know my percentage for sure but I would say 75% is the minimum on any given year.

novaman":s9ngcble said:
SRBeef":s9ngcble said:

Jim
I'm going to respectfully disagree with your logic. I recommend putting the bull in when you want to have your first calves. Putting the bull in 50 days after you start calving will get calving started earlier every year. In a northern climate that won't fly. If you run a good program there will be no slipping in the calving dates. In most herds there is a very high percentage of cows calving in the first cycle once the bull is put in. I don't know my percentage for sure but I would say 75% is the minimum on any given year.

I very much agree with you. All of my calves were born within a 21 day period this spring so my bull bred all of them on the first cycle. I we assume first cycle catch then to have a calf on the same day next year would be 82 - 21 = about 60 days after the first calf this year. I was trying to be conservative. Do most cow calf operations have most cows catching the first cycle? Seems like many times I hear about 60 day calving seasons which would be way to long for me.

Jim

She isnt a heifer and what do you mean by back end slacking up... And yes it is exciting to see those sighns and think any morning i go to check on her i may winde up checking on two...

Dixieangus":oyevkllk said:
She isnt a heifer and what do you mean by back end slacking up... And yes it is exciting to see those sighns and think any morning i go to check on her i may winde up checking on two...

If you dont know the answers to these questions you are asking might I suggest you get storeys guide to raising beef cattle and read it 939493493949234939492349492943 times cuz you will find something new everytime you read it.

I know the basics and i would want to be safe than sorry..This is my first cow i have had calves and raised them but this is the first time i have had one going to calve

In addition to building a bag, the vulva will enlarge as calving approaches (extension says 1 to 3 weeks prior). We say they're 'springing' or 'getting slack in the back'. This is more visibly pronounced in some cows than in others.