When you're trying to increase your numbers ...

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
... in the spring of 2017, and then once or twice during the summer of 2017, I had a little chat with the bulls, each time explaining their role in the profitability and longevity of the operation.

This past year, 80% of our calves were heifers ... all natural service.

I give my little tip to all of you in hopes 2019 brings your operation increases in profit and cash flow per acre. :)

hahah.. yeah, didn't work for me.. I only had 8 out of 24 calves as heifers last year, 1 freemartin, 1 had an adopted brother, and 4 more from terminal cows.. There was only one I really liked, and another I kept who isn't that pretty but might be a good cow anyhow. That's why I ended up buying a heifer calf this year!

Hoping this coming year to have a better selection, Gonna need it, I've got culls to get rid of.

WalnutCrest":35uuxqw3 said:
... in the spring of 2017, and then once or twice during the summer of 2017, I had a little chat with the bulls, each time explaining their role in the profitability and longevity of the operation.

This past year, 80% of our calves were heifers ... all natural service.

I give my little tip to all of you in hopes 2019 brings your operation increases in profit and cash flow per acre. :)

So did you tell them to hold their tongues to the left rather than the right?

He//, we keep telling them to do the opposite of what they did last year because all we seem to get is heifers. 75% the last 2 years. More heifers than we want to choose from and prices being low on the heifers sure doesn't help. And if I do AI with sexed semen, I get 50% or on one cow 75% bull calves.... Did get down to only 60% heifers this last spring crop..... this fall has been about 50/50 but have lost a couple to the wet/mud/nasty pneumonia weather.

I've had a talk with one cow in particular.. she's a 2011 model, she's yet to have a heifer.. MAYBE this year is the year?
Meanwhile my old cow Rosie had 11 heifers and 5 bull calves.. I just counted today, she's got 3 daughters, 7 granddaughters and a great great granddaughter in the herd