When you're in trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
When you're in trouble, you know you gotta be on your best behavior...

Here's an example.. I have a HUGE 9 year cow (Frame 8? 1900 lbs?), dumber than a sack of hammers, always very contrary, been like that all her 9 years. When I brought them up from the field, as usual, she goes the wrong way and I gotta work like heck to get her back with the others before they all turn around..
She's pretty late this year, and I think she figured she better smarten up.. I get her in the corral, and the next day she gingerly comes up to me, begging for her poll to get scratched.. This must be the twilight zone!.. Alright, this continues, she's suddenly turned into a doll, she comes up to me all the time, Any place I'm willing to scratch is appreciated, and she doesn't mind if I fiddle with her teats at all.

I'm not holding my breath for this to last forever, but it's a welcome change from her.
She better do a little catching up this year. (She's never been late before)
I think she'll calf in the next couple days.

WalnutCrest":1ufa6hko said:
If you scratch her, don't stand too close to a fence / post ... I have no interest in hearing about some sort of Nesi pancake.

:lol2: :lol2: For sure!

I'm thinking hormones are at work here. I think you're right, that she'll probably calve in the next couple of days.

But, it sure is nice to have that change in attitude isn't it, for however long it lasts.

This is her about 2 years ago.. that's a 130lb calf

Yeah, I'll take the good behavior while it lasts.. Should I try haltering her?

Nesikep":1o3huttl said:

You bet. Show season is just around the corner. Never know when they'll have some sort of Veteran Cow class for you to win!

WalnutCrest":25jjhzf3 said:
Nesikep":25jjhzf3 said:

You bet. Show season is just around the corner. Never know when they'll have some sort of Veteran Cow class for you to win!
Could always show her in the cow/calf ring!

I'd have lots of others I'd put in that class first... What's the usual age for 'veteran' cow?

Rosie would have been a great candidate, her oldest daughter Caddy is now 10 and would work too, they hold up well with age, udders and legs seem to stay good regardless of age.. This pic was when she was 14.

Latest posts