When you treat your bull like a pet.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1oy2is62 said:
That must be one gentle bull and I don't trust any of them.
Obama my Angus would have tried to kill you. He sees monsters everywhere as it is.

Do you have a Charolais bull named Trump? :)

AZAggie":yrni9rzx said:
This is what happens when a crazy lady owns cattle.

I'll bet the other cattle wish they had a blanket to stay warm in this cold weather.

Do you know this "crazy" lady? Everyone has a few in the family.

The crazy lady is my mother. The bull is really gentle. He's a 2300 lb baby. I do tell my parents all the time not to get complacent around him though. He's so big all he has to do is look at you hard to hurt you.

AZAggie":1hf3f2so said:
The crazy lady is my mother. The bull is really gentle. He's a 2300 lb baby. I do tell my parents all the time not to get complacent around him though. He's so big all he has to do is look at you hard to hurt you.
. Any of em can hurt you..usually by his age, you'd know by now..those old Brahman Bulls are big babies for the most part..don't get me wrong, I don't let my guard down on any of em..but the Brahman cow is more apt to hurt you,than a old bull..

AZAggie":2m7ivju3 said:

This states that the University of Missouri found that Brahman cattle do as well as European cattle down to 8 degrees Fahrenheit. That seems cold for Brahman cattle.
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/brahman/

How cold did it get there in Oklahoma?

Bullitt":s7bb1xw5 said:
AZAggie":s7bb1xw5 said:

This states that the University of Missouri found that Brahman cattle do as well as European cattle down to 8 degrees Fahrenheit. That seems cold for Brahman cattle.

It's been in the 10-20 degree range in the mornings lately.

It was nice out today do he didn't need the blanket. All you need to get him to come to you is show him a brush.

Bullitt":1vsguz3c said:
AZAggie":1vsguz3c said:

Most people worry more about the cold, when heat stress is the bigger issue for cattle. Rumen fermentation produces a lot of heat that they can struggle to dissipate. But that heat also makes them more comfortable in winter than we realize.

So of course, we screwed up the whole U.S. cattle population by turning them black, which makes heat stress even worse. Great for marketing, and bad breeding. Next thing you know, someone will promote bad udders or feet as a marketing trick.

Quote from your article:

Heat Tolerance. Studies at the University of Missouri found that Brahman and European cattle thrive equally well at temperatures down to 8° F. They found that European cattle begin to suffer adversely as the air temperature goes above 70° F, showing an increase in body temperature and a decline in appetite and milk production as 75° F, is passed. Brahmans, on the other hand, show little effect from temperatures up to and beyond 105° F. Although heat tolerance is only one factor in environmental adaptation of cattle, it is considered the most important.

Cattle have numerous things they can do themselves to alleviate heat stress from grazing at night and resting in the shade during the day to sweating, panting and breathing through the mouth. Owners can supply adequate cool water for both drinking and cooling, shade and higher quality roughage to reduce rumen fermentation heat production. But you dnot' care about any of that. You just don't want black cattle anywhere.

Latest posts