When you die . . . what about your parts/burial?

Help Support CattleToday:

I told my wife cremate me and throw me out in a pasture. I don't want to be put under the ground and don't see no point in spending the money for a funeral.

I'm with Aaron and Waco... Just spread my ashes on the farm so I can fertilize what I love most. Seeing how I am *much* younger than most of you :lol: , I am signed up to be an organ donor if my parts are needed.
My dad just passed, as most of you know, and he wanted to be creamated and his ashes spread over the Oregon Dunes. That was his favorite place to ride his 4 wheelers. Mom picked him up the other day and was surprised at how heavy he was. In her humor, she told me that when the mortuary called her, they started with the "I am so sorry that you lost your husband". Her response to them was "I have not lost my husband, you have him!"..... :lol:

Either cremation or roll me in some burlap and plant me directly in the ground. Put a nice tree on top.

My granddad was very devout (and quite educated). He was vehemently against cremation because he believed that God could not put you back together (I guess in Heaven?) if you were cremated. Even as a kid, I thought that was sort of illogical....

I'm surprised in so many people choosing cremation. Nobody I personally know has been cremated.

I told my kids to bury me in the manure/compost pile along with the chickens and other critters. I'm not sure though if they want the corn smelling like dad.

cremation and anything they want after as I won't know or care, I would be an organ donor but not sure as I can, as I can't give blood while I'm living does it work differently when your dead.?

Bigfoot":fw424bcy said:
I'm surprised in so many people choosing cremation. Nobody I personally know has been cremated.

One big reason for cremation here, and not burial, is long-term outlook for cemeteries. Next generation is not going to pay for upkeep of cemeteries and what you pay for a plot isn't going to cover it's upkeep for eternity. There is a small graveyard, mile and half from the house, that was used to bury the locals 90 years ago. Only has about 10 people in it. Most of the tombstones have crumbled and can no longer be read. I am waiting for the time when the county quits maintaining it, and eventually sells it off as excess. In my lifetime, it will happen - especially if budgets were tight and trimming need to be made. And most cemeteries will go the same way, eventually. Maintenance costs go up and the new 'arrivals' offset the costs of maintenance for the ones gone for 100 years, but eventually the maintenance costs will supercede the value of those buried and decisions will have to be made.

Aaron":38igh3vj said:
Bigfoot":38igh3vj said:

One big reason for cremation here, and not burial, is long-term outlook for cemeteries. Next generation is not going to pay for upkeep of cemeteries and what you pay for a plot isn't going to cover it's upkeep for eternity. There is a small graveyard, mile and half from the house, that was used to bury the locals 90 years ago. Only has about 10 people in it. Most of the tombstones have crumbled and can no longer be read. I am waiting for the time when the county quits maintaining it, and eventually sells it off as excess. In my lifetime, it will happen - especially if budgets were tight and trimming need to be made. And most cemeteries will go the same way, eventually. Maintenance costs go up and the new 'arrivals' offset the costs of maintenance for the ones gone for 100 years, but eventually the maintenance costs will supercede the value of those buried and decisions will have to be made.

I am suprised too. I have always thought they cant just keep burying people cause eventually there will be graves everywhere. I think either it will become commonplace to creamate or the gov willl mandate it and all the graveyards will be covered over with buildings or farms. If jesus holds off that long. Me and the wife have talked about it. I told her do the cheapest thing she can. What ever it is i would like to be on our own homeplace if we ever get to buy a piece of land outside town.

The cemetery falls under my responsibility at church. We have a few different investment instruments, that are devoted to the upkeep of the cemetery. I know it won't be cared for forever by these savings, but it should last many many lifetimes.

I think my parts ought to be pretty worn out.. they're showing signs early like ticking tappets, and suspension squeaks. A pine box, and a hole in the ground would suit me fine

I think that all my organs will be so worn out that nobody could use them. I have my funeral plans made and told my daughter where to find them. I will be buried in the cemetery in town where my grandparents and dad are buried. My husband and mother will be buried there too.
I had an aunt and a good friend who chose to be cremated. It is something that each person has to decide for themselves. It is okay, if that is what you want.

I want to be a body for med students. Then I want to be cremated and I want my wife to put the ashes into tattoo ink and make a tattoo of me. Some funny quote or something. The rest of me I want out onto my land.

Bigfoot":pjwhen8l said:
Pretty rare around here as well BF. Might be a big thing in the cities though. I just want a funeral and bury me in the ground and put up a simply headstone in case someone is interested years down the road.

My dad's a vet; my mom's ashes were spread on a hillside, with a marker, at the Idaho Vet's Cemetery. I'm good with that. It's pretty up there, on a hillside that's green, but looks over a sagebrush ravine on the other side. Dad will go there, too. I have a little jar of her ashes . . . some day, when I get it figured out, she might go in my garden, or in something around my neck, or something. She wasn't much of a country girl.

I want a head stone that sticks up above the ground. My Mom's grave has a flat stone that the guy on the riding lawn mower goes right over the top of it. I figure I have been getting in people's way all my life so even after I am gone the guy on the lawn mower is going to have to go around.

Keep in mind those ashes blow all over creation. Mine would all probably land and remain in the nearest cow patty.

TexasBred":2q4jla29 said:
Keep in mind those ashes blow all over creation. Mine would all probably land and remain in the nearest cow patty.
:mrgreen: my dad spread my grandmas ashes up on the rim in Arizona. Dropped them over a bluff and the wind brought them right back up and blew them all over his face. That was typical of her

Latest posts