When you can't clip or hay

Help Support CattleToday:

cjk

Reaction score
I came across some improved native pasture this spring for a bunch of cows that I keep at my home place. However, I am preparing to bring them home this weekend and in all the madness of spring the pastures at home are well overgrown.

My problem is that I don't own, or have access, to a suitable way to clip them back or put them in a bale this year. (Spring frost wiped out all annual crops and monies had to be used to replant them)

So what should I consider when I put this bunch back on these overgrown pastures. My biggest concern is with bloat, is there something that can be put out to prevent or lessen the effects? I have one field in particular that is thick with clover. They will be coming off native grasses and cheat grass. (Not near as hot of feed as what they are about to step into)

Honestly I think it is good that the pastures all matured out this year, they could use a little more density as they had been pretty well abused when we bought the place just over a year ago.

Thanks for the help.

"Agmantoo" I about have the arial photo for your input on the rotational grazing. Thought it was going to happen this spring, but too many other things came up. Maybe in the fall we will start fencing.

cjk
Fill the cows up on hay and then give them access to the pasture. Is the ratio of clover to grass more than 30% clover? If not you should not have a problem. I would monitor the animals a little closer than normal for a few days but they should be OK. You have not top dressed the forage with nitrogen recently have you?

cjk":6wtic3zi said:
I came across some improved native pasture this spring for a bunch of cows that I keep at my home place. However, I am preparing to bring them home this weekend and in all the madness of spring the pastures at home are well overgrown.

My problem is that I don't own, or have access, to a suitable way to clip them back or put them in a bale this year. (Spring frost wiped out all annual crops and monies had to be used to replant them)

So what should I consider when I put this bunch back on these overgrown pastures. My biggest concern is with bloat, is there something that can be put out to prevent or lessen the effects? I have one field in particular that is thick with clover. They will be coming off native grasses and cheat grass. (Not near as hot of feed as what they are about to step into)Honestly I think it is good that the pastures all matured out this year, they could use a little more density as they had been pretty well abused when we bought the place just over a year ago.

Thanks for the help.

"Agmantoo" I about have the arial photo for your input on the rotational grazing. Thought it was going to happen this spring, but too many other things came up. Maybe in the fall we will start fencing.

"Not near as hot of feed as what they are about to step into", not sure how to interpret this. Is the forage type different such as alfalfa involved?

Overgrown......all matured out? If it is making seed heads it is unlikely to cause bloat.

No, there hasn't been any N put on in a number of years. I would say the clover is about 20%, but that is only in part of one field, not the whole place.

We are planning on Saturday am, so we'll see how they do over the next week.

Just a suggestion. If you don't have the means to clip the pasture or put it in hay, you could possibly get someone to bale it on shares. You'll get it clipped for free and get some hay to boot. You should still be able to stock pile some forage before fall.