When will they calve

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have two pregnant cows. Both were placed with my bull on 8-28-04 and according to my vet who preg tested them the bull got em right away. He said they will both calve with in a week of each other on about 6-1-05. My question is since these cows are 8 years old and have had many calves, do they typically calve on time, late, or early? I think I want to move them into a smaller pasture soon, wondering how long I should wait before I do that?

Thanks,

Damon K. Rapozo":fj6jp198 said:
I have two pregnant cows. Both were placed with my bull on 8-28-04 and according to my vet who preg tested them the bull got em right away. He said they will both calve with in a week of each other on about 6-1-05. My question is since these cows are 8 years old and have had many calves, do they typically calve on time, late, or early? I think I want to move them into a smaller pasture soon, wondering how long I should wait before I do that?

Thanks,

I'd go ahead and move them to smaller pasture, paddock, or lot now. Given a "known" breeding date, the cow will usually calve + or - two weeks of 9 months from known date. From what I've heard, bull calves take a touch longer to calve than do heifer calves.

i have never had a vet be absolutely sure to that degree of accuracy. if they bred on the 28th, they might calve by the 20th. if they didnt come into heat for a full 3 weeks, they might calve as late as july 1st if they settled the first time. within a month of calving, most cattle farmers are as accurate by looking at the cow as the vet is by checking her. i would put them up within a few days if you want to make sure and have them up when they calve

never can tell if they will be early or late. depends on the cow & what breed of bull you used. as for moving them to a smaller pasture i'd wait til they start bagging

Tell you this much - you stay in this game long enough - stop worrying because if they are bred, they WILL calve out.

Usually when you do not want it to happen, when it rains, when it snows - guarantee that sooner or later one of them will drop their calf in a big puddle of mud and water. :D

All the signs are there when they get close - but I swear they can hang on as long as they want - just to frustrate you.

Just stand by to stand by - it's gonna' happen.

Have a good one,

Bez

Talked to my vet today about just this very thing. Our cow, who throws bull calves, is about 10 days past her so-called due date. He said not to worry, because from his experience, bull calves are usually late comers. He said he doesn't go by the gestation table to a tee, but just get a ballpark figure. Not worried anymore. By the way, this cow is always at least two weeks late. The only reason I asked the vet is because she is big, I mean really big. Udder dam drags the ground. Just my 4 cents worth.

Dick

icandoit":pw48jf7r said:
Talked to my vet today about just this very thing. Our cow, who throws bull calves, is about 10 days past her so-called due date. He said not to worry, because from his experience, bull calves are usually late comers. He said he doesn't go by the gestation table to a tee, but just get a ballpark figure. Not worried anymore. By the way, this cow is always at least two weeks late. The only reason I asked the vet is because she is big, I mean really big. Udder dam drags the ground. Just my 4 cents worth.

Dick

But late or early is just one of those "rules of thumb" that don;t alwasy apply.
Our smallest cow, a second calver, last year was two weeks early and had a heifer. This year she was two weeks late and I really was concerned about her size and the potential wreck with a late born calf. She walked around with her tail looking like a pup handle for a half an hour, walked to a back corner, and calved in less then 15 minutes. Heifer calf the same size as the one last year.
The more time I spend with these critters the more I realize that I don;t really know diddly squat.

dun

Latest posts