When will the bawling stop?

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Fence line weaned for 2 weeks now, moved mama and some already weaned heifers to another pasture. She has cried for 2 days now... and paced the fencing trying to get back to her calf. Any idea when she'll settle down?

Our Red Polls would carry on for 2 weeks... the most "mothering cows" we have ever had. They have to be out of sight and sound of the calves. Like @Silver asked, if the calf was nursing through the fence somehow, then it will continue for a while as when you completely moved her away is when the weaning actually started.
Usually we see them quit raising a fit after 4-7 days. Some are worse than others for sure.

I'm not entirely sure if she was nursing through the fence. It's tough to tell because the fencing was mostly no climb, so it's not possible there, but a section was 6-rail corral panels.... Could be the case. It doesn't help that they can hear each other but I don't really have any other option to put them completely out of sight and hearing each other.

What does moms udder and teats look like? Sounds like some nursing may have been happening as others have said.
At the start of fence line weaning, her udders were super full so I knew that the calf wasn't nursing. It doesn't seem like she was but it's not impossible. I'll let you all know how long she hollers. She's a strong willed mama!

You never know,I typically put my money on 45-48 hrs. But I just harvested a 4yo Cow with a late Oct calf. Haven't heard a peep out of the calf, he might be stealing milk. Only been 36hrs.

It is difficult, they are all different. Her calf doesn't seem very concerned at all.
If her calf isn't concerned I'd suspect it wasn't nursing then. Interesting! Must be one good momma! Try a quiet wean flap and weaning by the signs next round with her.

That is why I take them completely out of of sight of each other. I've never had cows and calves wean better side by side.
That's what I hear works best. I wish I had the amount of land to do that. If you can believe it, they can still hear each other on 20 acres in separate pastures

When I wean the majority of the calves, they're kitty-corner across the road, so they can see & hear each other. Bawling generally stops by the 2nd or 3rd day. When I wean the stragglers, I do it at the barn and mama has direct nose-to-nose contact. It's always worse. That said, I wean the majority according to the Almanac. Have NO clue if it's accurate but I do it anyway. And the stragglers? Whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Latest posts