When will she calf

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Well I thought Olivia would calf today, but she did not. She was mooooooing all day. Eating a lot of grass, more than the other two. She is swelling up and her teats are really big. How long do you think before it happens. I want to be there and I am checking on her constantly. I hope it does not happen while I am sleeping.

When she, God and Mother Nature decide it is time - it will happen - otherwise stand by.

Bez

Before our cow calved, I notice her sides were drawn in like she needed a drink of water. Next, she acted like she needed to pee but couldn't. Also, she would lay down for about 45 seconds before rising again. About hour and half later, her water sac broke and the feet appeared. From this point if she hasn't calved in two hours she might be in trouble. If she is an heifer and she was AIed, add 4 to 7 days on to her due date. I hope she has it while your around.

the best way to know for sure is if her vulva is swelled up. an she is discharging with muscus. means she is gonna calve fast . scott

bigbull338":1zjjv66a said:
the best way to know for sure is if her vulva is swelled up. an she is discharging with muscus. means she is gonna calve fast . scott
Her vulva is swelled up now and her teats look really full, she is mooooooing a lot lately, does that mean anything?
She is eating ravishingly lately, Much more than the other two.
Frank

yes she is getting ready to calve. shouldnt be more than a few days . so yes she will calve soon . scott

Yep, get the cigars ready. Also her teats will be swelling at the actual teat. Not just the sack.

Noone can tell you if she's ready. Cattle can "look" ready for a week or so. And, cattle normally eat VERY LITTLE 12-24 hours prior to calving. Going "off" feed is a good INDICATION that she's close.
She may have clear discharge for a month prior to calving. But, when it is long stingy discharge, that USUALLY is the start of stage 1.
Yes, the mooing CAN mean she's getting close. Some cows will start "humming" to their babies before going into labor, some during labor, others never.
When she actually starts stage 1, she USUALLY will want to be away from the rest of the herd. She will be restless, getting up & down, licking her sides, kicking her feet, or shuffling her feet - shifting her weight from one leg to other, swinging her tail. In other words, she will look "uncomfortable". This can go on for a few hours, than stage 2 should start with the calf entering the birth canal. The first thing that will show is the water sac, which is white in appearance. Sometimes it breaks quickly, other times it doesn't break at all till calf is out. Length of time for actual birthing varies greatly - and also depends on how often she is DISTURBED by the expectant owner.
Hope this helps.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":32lxomzd said:
Noone can tell you if she's ready. Cattle can "look" ready for a week or so. And, cattle normally eat VERY LITTLE 12-24 hours prior to calving. Going "off" feed is a good INDICATION that she's close.
She may have clear discharge for a month prior to calving. But, when it is long stingy discharge, that USUALLY is the start of stage 1.
Yes, the mooing CAN mean she's getting close. Some cows will start "humming" to their babies before going into labor, some during labor, others never.
When she actually starts stage 1, she USUALLY will want to be away from the rest of the herd. She will be restless, getting up & down, licking her sides, kicking her feet, or shuffling her feet - shifting her weight from one leg to other, swinging her tail. In other words, she will look "uncomfortable". This can go on for a few hours, than stage 2 should start with the calf entering the birth canal. The first thing that will show is the water sac, which is white in appearance. Sometimes it breaks quickly, other times it doesn't break at all till calf is out. Length of time for actual birthing varies greatly - and also depends on how often she is DISTURBED by the expectant owner.
Well tonight she was mooing an humming and walked away from the other two. She ate an enormous amount of Hi Mag minerals that I put out for her. She has been mooing and humming for about a week now. Tonight she looks very big compared to my bull, who is not fully grown, and my other heiffer. I am just concerned that she will need help and I will not be there. Your last statement, disturbed by the expectant owner, do you think we should just let her be and not bother at all or should we be on alert? That is my concern. Many people have told me she might need help and I do not want to shrug my responsibility. I really want it to be an easy delivery for her.
Hope this helps.

By all means, keep a close eye on her. What I was referring to: is that most times when owners see a cow in labor, they pop in & out of the pen/pasture & the cow keeps getting up to watch them. This stops labor & therefore makes the delivery impossible to time. Once disturbed, it may take her 5 minutes or 25 minutes to get started again.
Some cows, you can just sit down at a distance & watch the whole proceedure. Others, won't do a thing with you in sight. Just depends on the individual animal & how comfortable it is with you.
MOST heifers/cows will calf with absolutely no problem - been doing that for centuries - but there's always that one calf that's too big - or abnormal presentation - that needs assistance.
After the birth, it is extremely important to make sure it SUCKS. So always observe what her bag/teats look like each time you see her. Although, if she calves while you are not there, the calf could suck immediately and 30 minutes later the bag will be just as full in some cases. If in doubt, always best to be on the safe side & give it some powder colostrum. The MUST receive colostrum within the first 12-24 hours after birth - but best, should be within 1 hour after birth. After 12 hours, they will receive very little if any antibodies - after 24 hours = none.

Get some binoculars for when she starts calving. You can stay back far enough then to not upset her and still see if she's having progress. When she is down on her side w/ head flat on the ground and all four feet parallel to the ground IT'S TIME!

Latest posts