When was the last time you saw tractors in DC

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
The protest came in response to a package of measures agreed by the German Cabinet at the start of September. Among other things, they stipulate that the weedkiller glyphosate will be banned in Germany by the end of 2023 after a phasing-out period.

The government is also proposing to reduce the nitrate content in ground water by cutting the use of certain fertilizers and liquid manure. Germany has come under pressure from the European Union for regularly exceeding the allowable levels of nitrates in groundwater, mainly due to mass livestock farming.

Many German farmers have complained that the regulations on the use of manure are not based on expert knowledge. They also say that they are still coping with large amounts of excess nitrate from the past.

Farmers in the neighboring Netherlands also turned out on tractors on Monday in eight provinces to protest against measures proposed there to reduce the quantity of nitrates in the environment. A nationwide protest is planned for Wednesday in The Hague, similar to the one on October 1.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-farmers-protest-against-berlins-agriculture-policy/a-50828932

European farmers stage week of protests
This week has seen protests by farmers in the capital cities of Germany, France and the Republic of Ireland. Though their grievances have varied, the demonstrators had a common message: farmers are getting a raw deal.

The masses in general do not appreciate food. All many of them want is "cheaper"..... the ones that buy at farmers markets have more sense and appreciation of farmers and growers, but for the most part, many just do not care except for the price tag. Being a farmer or a rancher was a solid position in the community in past years. More trustworthy than a banker even... not anymore. We are just seen as dumb hayseeds that don't deserve respect or to make a profit off our labor.

Too many people have no idea what it takes to put all of that food on all of those shelves and in all of those restaurants available pretty much 24-7...and far too many people in the regulatory agencies don't know which end of the cow goes, "moo". There needs to be a nationwide effort to educate people on what it takes to produce all of that food and get it through processing and into store/restaurants - a kind of "Where Your Food Comes From" campaign. Personally, I think growing a garden should be in the curriculum of every school K-12 nationwide - public, private, and otherwise - no exceptions. Wouldn't mind FFA being put back on the right track or being replaced altogether...it was a good program when I was a kid but seems to gone off the rails in many areas from what I understand. Just noticed how old this thread is but the thought occurred to me when reading about the European farmers being up in arms lately over nonsensical regulations making it hard for them to make a living. Did a search and found this old thread.