When to wean first calf heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

jyarbrough

Reaction score
I have 27 calves that were born late last November and December. They have been on there moms and now creep feed. Being still green to the whole cow thing, I got my neighbors and the vet to determine my average weight as being around 400. I can tell that these calves are pulling moms down with the heat, size, and maybe the fact that this is there fist calf.

Would I be screwing up by pulling these calves off and placing in a pasture adjactent to the cows. They clearly know within the last month where the creep feeders are and frequent them several times a day. My plans were to wean them around 500lbs, wean, and then sell the next month but I'm starting to second guess I plan and don't want to pull the cows down too far.

Thanks.

I would wean em now. but i don't know if i would sell right now if you have plenty of grass and hay. if they were mine i would sell the first week of december but i don't how the market is where you are that time of year the last two years for me thats been the best thing to do and mine were born the same time november and december the year before. don't know what might be best for you but this is what works for me.

I would wean em now. but i don't know if i would sell right now if you have plenty of grass and hay. if they were mine i would sell the first week of december but i don't how the market is where you are that time of year the last two years for me thats been the best thing to do and mine were born the same time november and december the year before. don't know what might be best for you but this is what works for me.

Latest posts