When to wean bottle calf...

Help Support CattleToday:

We start about 800 holstien steers per year.At 3weeks calves are getting 1 pound of powder in 3 quarts of water 2X.At 4 weeks we cut out 1 milk feeding or 1 pound of powder in 3 quarts of water 1X.At 5 weeks we cut that to 8 oz powder in 2quarts water 1X. At 6 weeks we wean calves with most eating 3-4 lbs feed per day.There are always a few that need a little more time.

Purina markets that milk replacer mainly for dairys. It is the best replacer I have ever used. Unfortunately their program isn't for every application. If you are feeding beef cows or looking for a lot of performance out of a dairy, you cant do it on four weeks of milk. Most dairys feed their young calves high protein and high nutrition diets. msscamp gives great advice: COB is much cheaper than Purinas starter feed and feeds well. I wean at 8 weeks. At one week I introduce COB and some grass hay. By the 8th week, they will be eating all their grain at feeding and I will leave free choice alfalfa and grass hay. I don't let them free choice COB. They will over feed themselves on it. This doesn't fit all calves. I have feed one milk for 4 months. He just would not put on any size.

highvoltagecattleco":wey0303w said:
Purina markets that milk replacer mainly for dairys. It is the best replacer I have ever used. Unfortunately their program isn't for every application. If you are feeding beef cows or looking for a lot of performance out of a dairy, you cant do it on four weeks of milk. Most dairys feed their young calves high protein and high nutrition diets. msscamp gives great advice: COB is much cheaper than Purinas starter feed and feeds well. I wean at 8 weeks. At one week I introduce COB and some grass hay. By the 8th week, they will be eating all their grain at feeding and I will leave free choice alfalfa and grass hay. I don't let them free choice COB. They will over feed themselves on it. This doesn't fit all calves. I have feed one milk for 4 months. He just would not put on any size.

I realize this isn't a "one size fits all" thing. I think I got lucky in that my calf has done so well. Since we've started the Startena he's really shot up. Will post pictures as soon as I figure out how! Thanks all.

Latest posts