when to vaccinate calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I vaccinate between a month and three months old usually when cutting bulls. Then booster at weaning. Vaccinating before a month old may be ineffective because of the antibodies the calf receives from its dam. Depends on who you listen to.

B&M Farms":3gbcku6q said:
I vaccinate between a month and three months old usually when cutting bulls. Then booster at weaning. Vaccinating before a month old may be ineffective because of the antibodies the calf receives from its dam. Depends on who you listen to.
I agree, between 2 and 3 months.

Whenever you can get your hands on them.
Recent studies have pretty well debunked what we used to think was true about maternal antibodies interfering with calves' ability to respond to vaccines.
However, there is good evidence that a newborn calf's immune system really tanks between about days 3 and 7 after birth - so it's best not to vaccinate in that window - probably won't hurt the calf, but they likely won't respond optimally.

What would be recommended to vaccinate calves with? I'm talking in the 1-2 month old range.

jallen,
I'd recommend you discuss what's appropriate with your veterinarian.
Disease prevalence varies from locale to locale - and your management style and plan for your calves may have some influence on what you vaccinate against and what you don't.

Just go to the local farm store and see what 7 or 8 way they have, then call your extension agent and ask if there is anything else prevelant in your area that you need to vacinate for. Im guessing he / she will tell you there isnt. If you live in an agricutlrure area there is a reason thats the vacination they are carrying.

Latest posts