When to use a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Goodlife

Reaction score
I am new and have not purchased cows yet. Still learning and preparing my place. But I have a questions regarding Bull vs AI.

It seems to me that for 2-3 cows/heifers AI is the better option. It also seems that increasing the number of cows creates a point where it is more efficient (and cheaper) to have a bull. What is this crossover point? What is the typical cost for a vet to do AI? I know many of you AI your cows yourself, but being a rookie I would probably be better off hiring a vet at least the first time or two. I know this cost will vary widely based on many factors, but I was looking for a ballpark. What is the cost to simply purchase the semen and AI them yourself?

I will be purchasing feeder calves to start based on the research I have done and recommendations on this board. I still want to be as educated as possible on all aspects of beef ranching.

Thanks for all the knowledge you experienced ranchers give to us rookies.
Ed

1 With 2 or 3 a i will be cheaper
2 a yearling bull can breed about 10 -12 head
3 usually you will need to find an ai tech, mine charges $5 head
4 cost of ai - semen depends on the breed and the popularity of the bull average Angus $20 then ai certificate if you have purebred $40. Synchronizing drugs $5 - $40 depending on which protocol you choose . If you decide to do it yourself you will need a thaw unit and a semen tank. Ai takes a bit of training and practice.

Is an AI tech in general a large animal Veterinarian? Thanks Dusty. That was the sort of generalized info I was looking for.

Goodlife":3dwyzmgh said:
Is an AI tech in general a large animal Veterinarian? Thanks Dusty. That was the sort of generalized info I was looking for.
Generally it's not a vet that does it. Either an independant technician, someone that works for a stud or someone that just does it for themselves is used. Seems like a lot of vet don;t want to be bothered and they won;t have a tank for holding semen anyway.

Never knew a vet who did AI - other than on their own cattle. I'm sure some do/did, but I've not run across them.
I know I wouldn't have had time to fool with it when I was in practice - too busy doing the other stuff to have been able to be driving around breeding cows for folks with a few cows.

my vet does the AI for us. cost for vet, semen and drugs runs 45 to 55 dollars depending on semen

Latest posts