When to treat

Help Support CattleToday:

betsycam

Reaction score
Ten days ago I brought home three 350-400 lb calves, bought individually so likely from different sellers. I had them vaccinated and wormed at the sale barn, and they did an 8-way, and a 3-way for respiratory stuff. I've had friends who bought calves at auction and they always seemed to come down with upper respiratory infections, and I was told 7-10 days is when it hits.

A few days after I brought mine home, I heard a cough or two, but no major symptoms. I bought them for training my dog on and for grazing our pasture, so I started dog breaking them in my round pen which was also their home pen, and the work did not bring on coughing. One friend said after always waiting until there were symptoms, she started treating them with LA 200 up front when bringing new calves home because by the time the symptoms started they always got really sick.

Since I don't have a squeeze and they are untamed beef types, I decided to put tetracycline HCl in their water, and they have been getting this for going on 6 days. The initial coughs were in the steer, and I heard another couple of coughs yesterday, but still no other symptoms like snotty nose or coughing with exercise. Today I heard a few coughs in one of the heifers, but again, no other symptoms.

Should I just wait and see if they clear whatever this is on their own, or should I find a way to get an injectable antibiotic into them now? I hate to over-treat. They are otherwise eating fine.

I haven't seen theses calves, but this time of year when buying calves you have to watch them close and know what they need when they need it. If it was me I would be getting them cought and giving them a shot. And my first choice would be zuprevo, then baytril, and then draxxin. So yes IMO you need to get them up and give some shots to all 3. Now the difference in us is you have 3 calves and I might have 100 running together in each field so sometimes I have to go a little over and give a few shots just to make sure it's not going to turn into something and spread.

Ok, thank you denvermartinfarms! Now the trick is to get script antibiotics when I don't yet have a large animal vet! They'll probably want a farm call...

Latest posts