When to sell steers?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We raised a couple bottle Holsteins calve for the kids to fool with and to supplement our beef herd. What does everyone think the best weight to try to sell them at would be? They are about the 500 pound range now. Thanks.

Are you wanting to sell them for feeders, freezer beef or heavy finished steers or for dairy herd replacements? You did not mention if they are bulls, steers, or heifers. :?:

la4angus":182o8fzp said:
Are you wanting to sell them for feeders, freezer beef or heavy finished steers or for dairy herd replacements? You did not mention if they are bulls, steers, or heifers. :?:

the topic is WHEN TO SELL STEERS ........... :? :?

WORANCH":2zsvf7ig said:
la4angus":2zsvf7ig said:

the topic is WHEN TO SELL STEERS ........... :? :?

WOW!!!!!!!! I will have to apologize :lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't read the headline. :cry: :cry:
The question remains,do you want to sell them for feeders, freezer beef, or heavy finished beef.
My apologies again mr WORANCH :p :p :p :p

Just trying to figure out when is the most profitable time to sell. I did not know if I would be better off to sell them now as feeders or finish out( which I have never done). Considered selling them and buying some more for the kids to raise since school is about out. Just wondering if it paid to finish them out and at what weight would be most profitable to sell. Right now they are on good pasture with 5# a day of 14% feed each. Feed cost is about $8 a hundred. Thanks for the thoughts.

With the current price of feeders, I would sell them now.
Let someone else finish them out. Put the money in the bank and buy the kids another project.
If you want the kids to experience growing calves out to a heavier wt., then you could sell one and buy two more bottle calves. Let the kids have two different projects.
Then you could sell the one you keep as a heavier feeder, feed him out and sell him finished for freezer beef or put half in your freezer and sell the other half to someone else.

I took one in last year for a cow that lost her calf. You always take a hit at the sale barn selling one or two head. He was a year old when I sold him last month and I got 61.50 for him and he was #900. Took a year of alot of feed for that weight. The guy that raises the steers from the dairy sells at #700. They are such fun pets they are hard to get rid of!

Anonymous":4fic8qxc said:
I took one in last year for a cow that lost her calf. You always take a hit at the sale barn selling one or two head. He was a year old when I sold him last month and I got 61.50 for him and he was #900. Took a year of alot of feed for that weight. The guy that raises the steers from the dairy sells at #700. They are such fun pets they are hard to get rid of!
You are right about the price beating that you will take on the odd lot at the sale barn. The best bet is to feed them both out for freezer beef and sell them locally.
If prices are 1/2 of what they are now they will still be discounted.
If tom4018 is able to grow them both and buy two more bottle calves for the kids I think that would be his best bet.
Just don't forget that calves have been at and are making all time record high prices for the last several months. This will not last forever.
There is an old saying "Leroy, if you never seen a real train wreck, you better wake up cause it's gonna happen".
No matter what the price the odd lot will always take a beating.
When you sold the one last year for $61.50 the prices were not near what they are now.

I sell mine between 300 - 500 pounds. In the past we tried finishing them out and selling 1/4 -1/2's. Had no problem finding people that wanted the meat, getting the money out of them was another story.......................... They all go to the sale barn now. Oh and the one we sold last week went for $82.5/cwt.

goatlady":2bt8gyre said:
I sell mine between 300 - 500 pounds. In the past we tried finishing them out and selling 1/4 -1/2's. Had no problem finding people that wanted the meat, getting the money out of them was another story.......................... They all go to the sale barn now. Oh and the one we sold last week went for $82.5/cwt.

Steers that size should be selling over a dollar.

D.R. Cattle":8oqcdhwc said:
goatlady":8oqcdhwc said:

Agree. Steers that size are bringing 1.10 - 1.30 around here (Central TX).

Even Holsteins and heifers are over a buck a lb around here

dun

TXBobcat":tjpeaax6 said:
D.R. Cattle":tjpeaax6 said:
goatlady":tjpeaax6 said:

Agree. Steers that size are bringing 1.10 - 1.30 around here (Central TX).

Over a dollar a pound for holstein steers??????? I think we need to move!
I checked the "USDA washington weekly combined report" for last week and we were on the top side of the prices for his weight.

Last Thursday sale

Holstein Steers: Large 3 420-440 lbs 102.00-105.00; 500-550 lbs 91.00-95.00;
670-705 lbs 84.50-85.00.

Feeder Heifers: Medium and Large 1 400-500 lbs 110.00-123.00; 500-600 lbs
108.50-120.00; 600-700 lbs 98.00-111.50; 700-750 lbs 97.00-106.00; 795-900 lbs
89.00-94.50. Medium and Large 1-2 300-400 lbs 119.00-137.00; 400-500 lbs 111.00
-124.00; 500-600 lbs 103.00-115.75; 600-700 lbs 97.00-106.50; 700-800 lbs 95.75
-99.00; load 860 lbs 84.75. Medium and Large 2-3 475-590 lbs 93.00-110.00.

dun

goatlady":2tzoqeqk said:
Over a dollar a pound for holstein steers??????? I think we need to move!
I checked the "USDA washington weekly combined report" for last week and we were on the top side of the prices for his weight.

I just sold a steer I had been raising for myself. He was 956lbs and sold for $.80. I hated to sell him but were moving (temp.) across the country and that was to much beef to move. Lots of people "volenteered" to take some off our hands, but ...

Latest posts