When to sell scenerio

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I've only sold at the sale barn 3 or 4 times. I just went today to watch and see how prices are. I want to take 8 head in soon and was thinking about next weekend.
At the sale today, they announced that next weekend they had 2 large consignments; 2 owners selling out (over 200 head), in addition to their normal sale which runs 700-1000 from what I was told (they had 750 something today). So, I'm curious if that is a good time to take mine or not. On one hand, I would think there might be more buyers, and more prepared to buy. Maybe? On the other hand, I don't pretend to think my cattle are anything special, and that maybe the big buyers will fill their quota with better stock, thus making mine the less desireable lot? Any opinions on this????
I did get a look at what went thru the ring today, and can say that my cattles condition would have been in the top third today, of what I witnessed (which isn't bragging :lol2: ). I have been told I feed my cows to good :oops: :lol:
I'm only taking 8 head, but these 8 will gross about 5,600 lbs, so just one penny a pound will pay my fuel over there, and buy my lunch :D

I would call the manager at the sale barn and see what he thought.
CSM

CSM":19crv1qm said:
CSM
I can save you the call, he will say sure they will sell good. Bring them on. He can't make anything if they aren't there. It's always a crap shoot in when to go but big sales will have more buyers.

For everybodies info, I had posted this earlier in the "Cattle Sales" part of the forum earlier today.......

"Just got back from the sale in LeFlore County, OK (Wister, OK). Had to be back home early, so I only hauled some goats over, and stayed long enough to watch the first 50 or so head of cattle thru the ring. First calf to sell was a 70lb black baldie bull $285. Next was a 90lb Charlaios heifer, $345 (per head)
Anything between 350-400lbs that didn't have obvious negatives was bringing 215-240 (heifers on the lower end, bulls and steers on the higher). Heaviest I got to see go thru was 680lb rwf heifer brought 168. Steers in the 650 range were bring 180. Almost everything decent below 550 brought 200+.
On the cheap end, a 480lb longhorn heifer brought 92. Well, maybe not the cheap end; they were giving horses away
Hated to leave early. I think I'll be taking some cattle next weekend."

Thanks for the advise CSM, and jed. My wife worked at our local sale until it burned down in 2010. I don't think I'll be calling a sale barn owner/manager for advise about whether or not to bring my cattle in. I would prefer to get unbiased opinions from folks who buy and sell at the barn. Hopefully some buyers will chime in

jedstivers":2sfadcz1 said:
CSM":2sfadcz1 said:
CSM
I can save you the call, he will say sure they will sell good. Bring them on. He can't make anything if they aren't there. It's always a crap shoot in when to go but big sales will have more buyers.
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I guess from your post that you are selling some yearling calves (8 hd grossing 5600 lbs). You mentioned a herd sell out or two which will be mostly pairs and bred cows. Most of the folks looking to buy cows don't stay for the calf and yearling sale. Most of the calf buyers will sit through the cow sale to buy the 300+ lb calves that are split off their mothers. The additional cows shouldn't affect the selling of your yearlings.

You did not mention whether you had steers, bull yearlings or heifers or a mix of the three and the flesh condition on these yearlings.

They sell calves and yearlings first, always have at this sale. Yes, a mix, 3 bulls, 5 heifers, between 8 and 11 months old.

I agree the 2 large sell-out consignments would be mostly pairs and/or bred mommas. My concern would be this; the big buyers have a certain amount of trailer space, and if they come to fill it with mommas, they'll be less likely to bid strong on calves that they can make up for any other day of the week at other regional sales. Just my thinking right now, subject to change

jedstivers":2wkf7fot said:
CSM":2wkf7fot said:
CSM

Depends a lot on when your cattle to through the ring...
Last big sale I was at the buyers left or lost a lot of motivation by the end. Prices were down at least $10/cwt...

Ouachita":a6o21e1l said:
They sell calves and yearlings first, always have at this sale. Yes, a mix, 3 bulls, 5 heifers, between 8 and 11 months old.

I agree the 2 large sell-out consignments would be mostly pairs and/or bred mommas. My concern would be this; the big buyers have a certain amount of trailer space, and if they come to fill it with mommas, they'll be less likely to bid strong on calves that they can make up for any other day of the week at other regional sales. Just my thinking right now, subject to change
I have a part time order buying job and make a Saturday sale every week buying for a small order buying company. Only a few of the calf buyers have orders for cows. If they sell the calves first, it shouldn't make any difference.

Latest posts