When to sell a steer calf....

Help Support CattleToday:

bevkel

Reaction score
I only have five cows, all with calves. Two of the calves (steer & heifer) were born around Christmas. I'll probably keep the heifer to breed next year. I was told by one of the cowmen I rely upon that the steer (black hide) would probably bring $700/$750 right now - So I'm guessing he's 650 to 680 pounds. I have lots of pasture, so feeding him isn't an issue. But I'm so new to the game that I still don't understand the economics - If I keep him and grow him, the per pound value declines, but I'll have more pounds. Sell or keep? At what weight does the steer go straight to the feedlot?

With the numbers you have I would sell. i don't do the feedlot because they call all of the shots. When to sell and such. The weight of yours is also what I try to sell at. To me that is the point of deminishing return.

Scotty

I would sell both of them now. If you keep the heifer it will be more than another year by the time she carries a calf and it grows big enough to sell. With feed and upkeep in her for another year, look how much she has cost you before you get a calf out of her. If you have alot of pasture you could use that money and buy some more heavy bread cows and have calves on the ground in 2 months. Calving heifers is kind of risky if you don't have the equipment/ experience and cannot do a C section yourself. (sometimes it is hard to find a vet at the moment you need him/her) If she and the calf dies you are really behind money wise now. Just my opinion- try to minimize your risk

I would sit down and do the math on paper...the bigger the steer the less he will bring in the sale ring, its finding the point of diminishing return. You get more for a smaller calf in the spring because folks buy them to grow and sell in the fall (for less per pound) while thay still can get a decent price and the demand is good. You make the money in the weight that the cow has gained...heavier cows sell for less because there is little margin for gain. Your steer is at the top of the curve, maybe a bit over.
Sell the steer unless you want to finish him for salughter.
Alot of different opinions here, I'm sure. What are your long range plans for your operation? If you want to raise calves then you know what the option is. Sell.
Dave Mc

Around here 700 pounds is the magic number this month. Anything heavier and you start losing money you could have made. It changes regularly as feed and market conditions are figured in.

Thanks for the input -- think I'll send them both to market next week.

Latest posts