When to sell a cull?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Never sold a cow that just lost a calf, is it better to wait for them to dry off first? Curious if it made any difference to the buyers and affected the price.

If they are young, I keep them long enough to breed back, and sell them as a short bred cow. If they are aged, I just wait till I'm selling something else, and run them through the kill pen.

Bigfoot":2rrfke4h said:
If they are young, I keep them long enough to breed back, and sell them as a short bred cow. If they are aged, I just wait till I'm selling something else, and run them through the kill pen.
She is young, but had to pull her only 2 calves from her. She will go to the kill pen, don't want someone else to have the same problem. Wonder is them having a large sack affected the price.

A good friend of mine buys kill cows for Cargill -Taylor(Wyalusing plant). They kill 1900 head every 24 hours.
Your Ky culls come up here on pots every day.
He tells me to try to ship 2 weeks prior to the big grilling holidays( Memorial day, the 4th, and Labor day). Also says to try not to ship fom Nov. 1- until after Christmas; and 2 weeks before, and during Lent.
As far as udders, as long as it isn't a huge udder, I don't think that will hurt her price. If you could load that cow the next couple of days, I would think that she would still make the 4th of July hamburger deal- might make her bring a couple extra pennies per lb.

I sell them pretty quick, no reason to keep them for any time if they are a cull, you keep her a month and you never know if she may get sick or die on you then you get nothing. And I agree about not re breeding one you know is not any good. I have done that before when I didn't want someone like me buying a junk cow to be good.

TexasBred":1fpkp3go said:
I try to get rid of them as quickly as I can once I've classified them as "culls"....period :!: :!:
Yep, the killer market has been good enough for a while that you can sell your cull, and add just a little with what you get and have a good bred cow to replace the cull. No reason to keep culls around for months IMO.

:( Her and another one are at the barn today. Had another cow to lose a calf. Not the greatest year for us. Took them off, left front brake started locking up on the way back, started getting ready to head out to bale and got a downpour. Maybe I should get back in bed.

denvermartinfarms":r3uveu0l said:
TexasBred":r3uveu0l said:
I try to get rid of them as quickly as I can once I've classified them as "culls"....period :!: :!:
Yep, the killer market has been good enough for a while that you can sell your cull, and add just a little with what you get and have a good bred cow to replace the cull. No reason to keep culls around for months IMO.

Yessir...just eating groceries while owner drink beer trying to decide what to do with her.

tom4018":3nt97y8b said:
2 cows cleared about $2350.
That's why you sell them now instead of waiting, I don't know how your market is right now, but here with the money from the 2 culls you could have bought 2 nice 2nd stage cows.

tripleBfarms":2r9o3x62 said:
They must have been some big gals. Where do you sell at?
Averaged 1570 each, sold at Cattleman's sale in Bowling Green. Daughters cow was way too big, a big sim x at 1745.

tom4018":1y6sqlaa said:
tripleBfarms":1y6sqlaa said:
They must have been some big gals. Where do you sell at?
Averaged 1570 each, sold at Cattleman's sale in Bowling Green. Daughters cow was way too big, a big sim x at 1745.

I take mostly everything to Glasgow, and I'm 75 miles from there. The extra fuel always more than pays off for me. I have never had much luck in BG or Guthrie either one.

Ours always do good at Guthrie, Glasgow has went down I think lately. Guthrie is 50 miles Glasgow is 65-70, Bowling Green is 35. We have had good luck at Cattleman's on a few odd head we sell. Where are you at?