When to re-breed.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Well, I have a very small herd, so this should be easy! I have 1 cow that calved September 8th. The rest of the herd are heifers that are just about 14-16 months old. I am going to A.I them soon and my question is concerning the cow that calved September 8th. Is it too soon to try to breed her? Should I give her some more time to breed her?

Well, I have a very small herd, so this should be easy! I have 1 cow that calved September 8th. The rest of the herd are heifers that are just about 14-16 months old. I am going to A.I them soon and my question is concerning the cow that calved September 8th. Is it too soon to try to breed her? Should I give her some more time to breed her?
It depends whether you're prioritizing having her bred by a certain date or maximizing your chances of conception. It's not too early to breed her, but conception rates go up steadily the longer you wait. I wouldn't recommend breeding at less than 60 days. By 70 your odds are pretty good. 80-90 is probably ideal.

Sept 8-Oct 26 is 48 days after 7 weeks (50 days) odds of conception are good.
give it a go whenever she's ready
If I saw one in heat at 8 weeks (56 days) I'd never hesitate to breed her, so 56 days would be my recommendation. But if you're syncing I'd wait 9 weeks (63 days)
My goal would be to have first service by 12 weeks (84 days)

Last edited:
I would wait until Thanksgiving and turn the bull out with all of them. Breeding any earlier would result in August calves
Oh good point! Thank you. I wish I had a bull to turn them out with. I will be using heat patches and AI

Latest posts