When to put out hay

Help Support CattleToday:

I am sorry that the numbers, quality , and sale experience of cattle in your area doesn't even compare to that in this part of the world. If you watched cows sell for $500-600 in Oregon they were going to slaughter. Hay is scarce and expensive. Bottom end and old cows are going to the sale by the thousands.
OMG, I am most thankful this Thanksgiving, that none of those is true! The volume...numbers... is one of the things that would make the sales experience as bad here as it is there. But I am most grateful that our cattle quality here is so much better. I realize that there and in other areas north and west, winter is coming, and a lot of areas didn't make hay, so people are having to sell off cows. This drives the price down not only there but all over. The superior quality of cattle in the SE is why our unweaned, black, polled calves bring as much or more per pound as those 45-90 day weaned, conditioned, vaccinated etc. calves do west of us. If you took the calves I am seeing at these sales and brought them down here.....and they weren't weaned, etc..... then yeah, I can see them selling for 50,30, even 20 cents per pound. You said you could get a 1200 lb Angus cow for a lot less than 3 Corrientes cost (That would be $750- $1050, maybe). I wouldn't haul a $750, 1200 lb Angus cow home! Our culls....slaughter cows... will bring that much.

The superior quality of cattle in the SE is why our unweaned, black, polled calves bring as much or more per pound as those 45-90 day weaned, conditioned, vaccinated etc. calves do west of us.

Warren, any one of us here can access market reports from your area and compare it to anywhere else in North America. You aren't fooling anyone.

Warren, any one of us here can access market reports from your area and compare it to anywhere else in North America. You aren't fooling anyone.
LOL. Don't reckon anyone is trying to fool anybody. Are you saying I am lying about something?!! If so, what? If so,, then post my statement and post your report you accessed that contradicts what I said. . Tell ya what, hoss, put your money where your mouth is. I hauled 2 calves to a sale in GA Monday. I will even tell you the owner's name...M. Goode. What sale was it, what were the 2 calves, how much did they weigh and how much did they bring? Should be easy for a bovine expert and computer genius like yourself. $1000.00 to you if you can. Or, ANY of you here, as far as that goes!

Don't think that I know much. But I can grow grass much better than I can produce hay.
towards spring i usually find someone with old hay that's not much good because it's been out all winter. I get it free or very cheap and unroll it to the cows. It's going to be the only fertilizer I use next year.
That's me too. Although I am shopping around for some chicken litter.

Might have messed up but a guy messaged yesterday with 60 rolls of 4x5 sitting outside. I offered $15 and he finally came to $18. I think he will settle for $17.50 but I told him to hold it until I look this week. It's a 6 mile haul and he will load it so I guess I will try it.
Just bought some heavy 4x5 for 35 w/10 mile haul, more insurance than anything, netwrapped so It will store outside better than my string bales. Still have some 10$ stuff from last year that I'll pit out for bedding, they pick through it, but its not much. Got a load of noodles coming next week.

we put some out this week. several of our pastures have johnson grass in them so the cows are shut out of them this time of year. next weekend will be the end the two week post freeze quarantine and we'll start moving the girls to their stockpiled native grass pastures for the winter.

Might sound like a bad question but what do you look for to put out hay or when do you put it out in NE Texas
Im in Ks ….if grass is low/ very little green' to it and the start of chilly weather, they like to eat hay early am/late pm: now if your grass isn't low—- well then your in a sweet dream …😆

Does anybody know what hay is going to sell for this year.
I'm in a different part of the state from you, but most of the hay I'm seeing advertised is around $40-$45 for 4x5s. Most small squares are $6-$8. Some advertised for a little less, and some a little more. It's been pretty dry up my way the last little bit and many haven't fertilized as much or any the last couple years, so hay supply is gonna be short and getting snatched up pretty quickly, and just the rough or really expensive stuff will be left.

I'm in a different part of the state from you, but most of the hay I'm seeing advertised is around $40-$45 for 4x5s. Most small squares are $6-$8. Some advertised for a little less, and some a little more. It's been pretty dry up my way the last little bit and many haven't fertilized as much or any the last couple years, so hay supply is gonna be short and getting snatched up pretty quickly, and just the rough or really expensive stuff will be left.
After I kept what hay I needed for me which was 120 rolls 5X5 I had 34 rolls left and advertise on Marketplace for about 3 hours and sold all 34 rolls for $60.00 per roll, he said that he would take all I had to sell and was wanting more.

Last edited:
After I kept what hay I needed for me which was 120 rolls 5X5 I had 34 rolls left and advertise on Marketplace for about 3 hours and sold all 34 rolls for $60.00 per roll, he said that he would take all I had to sell and was wanting more.
That worked out great for both of y'all. Lots of folks around here are looking for some hay before it all gets gone.

Alfalfa was $300 a ton in the stack 2 years ago. Today I heard about $155 a ton delivered for 2nd cutting not rained on hay. I haven't heard a price on grass hay but I am sure it is down too. There is a lot of hay here.

Latest posts