When to process… always a guessing game.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have 2 steers and 2 heifers that look to be around 800lbs. Trying to project ahead on when to process. I do finish them out on grain for a minimum of 4 months, last year I did 5. The butcher shop I normally use is closed Nov and Dec so latest I could use them would be mid October to have them out before November. My question is, what is the average rate of gain per lb of grain given? Trying to calculate if I should make a date for mid October or wait until first of Jan. I could also use another shop but much further away. Will get pics today so show them! They are good looking at fat right now, we had a lot of rain so we've had plenty of grass, unlike the last several years here in Northern Ca.

Steer #42
A7F83AF6-6397-43B4-B520-9742AFFE91D3.jpeg

Steer #47
FEF2ED4C-27E8-4B81-B04E-0344875BBBAE.jpeg

Heifer #1
5D170C22-4C34-4262-8B5F-FD270713FBD2.jpeg

Heifer #2
C124B35B-2B17-4989-9214-C6563C0F6BEE.jpeg

Heifer #3
2A72DC0E-599D-46A2-8BE7-256C53795EC7.jpeg

These 5 above are the next batch to be processed. My thought is to let them grow a little larger and process them first week of January. That leaves us only 7 months more, and I would begin graining for the last 4 months. What do you think?

Heifer #4
F5B9547A-344A-4C3D-A33E-891DC3B00C3E.jpeg

This last heifer is a bit smaller than the rest. Would like to process her with the others. Thoughts?

As others have said, it depends on a number of variables and what your goals are for your freezer beef product. We're shooting for high choice/low prime on a minimum 800 lb carcass weight for our product and we are at least 150 days on grain, working up to about 28 lbs per day over the first 60 days. The heifers generally hang between 800-900 and steers have gone as high as 1040 on the hook. This is on upper end primarily angus genetics, with some simangus and hereford mixed in. We're in Northern CA as well, is your butcher The Meat Shop in Martell?

As others have said, it depends on a number of variables and what your goals are for your freezer beef product. We're shooting for high choice/low prime on a minimum 800 lb carcass weight for our product and we are at least 150 days on grain, working up to about 28 lbs per day over the first 60 days. The heifers generally hang between 800-900 and steers have gone as high as 1040 on the hook. This is on upper end primarily angus genetics, with some simangus and hereford mixed in. We're in Northern CA as well, is your butcher The Meat Shop in Martell?
Nice hanging weights. Mine usually come out anywhere from 750-850 hanging. But I have always done steers so I'm curious to see what the heifers hang out as. Yes I have been using the meat shop in Martell. I have also used TBonez in Auburn. I am looking to buy 2 steers if you have any for sale or know of anyone. Really neat to meet someone on here local to me.

By the length of their tails, they have some age on them - not calves? Heifer #3 is already getting fat pockets. I don't think she should wait for January. To me, she is by far the best animal you pictured. Has really good muscling. The others lack muscle.
Like mentioned, genetics, age & muscling will dictate gain.

By the length of their tails, they have some age on them - not calves? Heifer #3 is already getting fat pockets. I don't think she should wait for January. To me, she is by far the best animal you pictured. Has really good muscling. The others lack muscle.
They were born Spring 2022. The heifer #3 is actually the youngest of them. But she's pretty small, my guess is only about 600-700lbs. She's only been on grass. Bill was dexter and really well muscled. Cow was b&w face. Maybe I can make an appointment to have her done sooner? I don't think she will need much grain to finish her out. I contemplated selling her because she's just very small but if I don't grain her much, do you think she'll yield good eats?

I see Jeanne's point - For Heifer #3 if you are committed to finishing her out, might want to check in to see if Castle Meats in Ione has a slot available for Nov/Dec. They are usually booked out several months but have had a number of cancellations this year. Jethro at Castle does a fantastic job cutting for us, we use Tom and Thomas at The Meat Shop in Martell as well as Jethro at Castle Meats as part of our freezer beef program.

I don't know much about Dexter influenced genetics, but from what little I've observed they will finish small regardless of the amount of feed you put into them. I'd think you'd still want to get her to 1100 lbs live weight or better though, and that will take some time. For your others based on what I'm seeing in the pictures, I would be waiting until next year. I'd make sure they have been wormed and see how they respond to a transition into a finishing diet. If they don't start converting, you might want to consider cutting your losses on them and trade out for some that will finish either more quickly or put you in a better position to hit the January harvest. Feed prices are so ridiculous in California the grain finished cattle need to produce serious pounds for their inputs or your costs will quickly outrun what they can bring as freezer beef.

FWIW If you have some buyers locked in that you need to fill orders for, I do have a couple good BWF steers that I expect are high 9 weights running on irrigated pasture that are ready to be pulled off and start finishing, they would hit your mid-late Oct goal based on our past feeding regimen if started right away. I just need to check with a friend who has first option on them whether he's planning to take them.

Another option - I watched some steers go through CLM this week at 10-11 weights that went very cheap in my book - They only brought $100-200 over the 6 weight steers I pulled straight off the cow and hauled in, and were nice straight black angus steers; someone just made the mistake of holding on to them too long in our goofy California market. Those would have been ready in 90 days no problem if pushed. I culled one 1200 lb 19 month old heifer this week, she was my only one that preg checked open. She brought only $100 more than those 6 weight steers I sold, but I didn't have a butcher slot for her on the books. I'd think if you were willing to do some trading, you could fit whatever works best for you and your customers.

I see Jeanne's point - For Heifer #3 if you are committed to finishing her out, might want to check in to see if Castle Meats in Ione has a slot available for Nov/Dec. They are usually booked out several months but have had a number of cancellations this year. Jethro at Castle does a fantastic job cutting for us, we use Tom and Thomas at The Meat Shop in Martell as well as Jethro at Castle Meats as part of our freezer beef program.

I don't know much about Dexter influenced genetics, but from what little I've observed they will finish small regardless of the amount of feed you put into them. I'd think you'd still want to get her to 1100 lbs live weight or better though, and that will take some time. For your others based on what I'm seeing in the pictures, I would be waiting until next year. I'd make sure they have been wormed and see how they respond to a transition into a finishing diet. If they don't start converting, you might want to consider cutting your losses on them and trade out for some that will finish either more quickly or put you in a better position to hit the January harvest. Feed prices are so ridiculous in California the grain finished cattle need to produce serious pounds for their inputs or your costs will quickly outrun what they can bring as freezer beef.

FWIW If you have some buyers locked in that you need to fill orders for, I do have a couple good BWF steers that I expect are high 9 weights running on irrigated pasture that are ready to be pulled off and start finishing, they would hit your mid-late Oct goal based on our past feeding regimen if started right away. I just need to check with a friend who has first option on them whether he's planning to take them.

Another option - I watched some steers go through CLM this week at 10-11 weights that went very cheap in my book - They only brought $100-200 over the 6 weight steers I pulled straight off the cow and hauled in, and were nice straight black angus steers; someone just made the mistake of holding on to them too long in our goofy California market. Those would have been ready in 90 days no problem if pushed. I culled one 1200 lb 19 month old heifer this week, she was my only one that preg checked open. She brought only $100 more than those 6 weight steers I sold, but I didn't have a butcher slot for her on the books. I'd think if you were willing to do some trading, you could fit whatever works best for you and your customers.
I really would like to sell heifer #3 and heifer #4. My main issue like you mentioned, is that I already have these beef sold for customers, so I feel as if I am scrambling to try to replace them to keep good beef supplies to my consumer. I always predict a hanging weight average from 750-850 and I know these 2 will not get to that range. I would like to sell them and replace them with some 800-900lb steers like you were saying. If you could please let me know, I would be very interested in the ones you mentioned you might have available. I'm sure my customers would be happy getting their beef earlier in October if I were able to find steers ready to begin finishing right away. They were all wormed with Safeguard Oral back in March but I will worm again with ivermectin injectable here before I begin them on grain. I think the 2 steers and #1 and #2 will do ok on feed to reach the goal to be processed last week of Dec (spoke with butcher and he said they being to open shop again in last week of December). Let me know on the steers you have that might come available, I would really appreciate that. In the mean time, I think my best bet is to sell the 2 I mentioned, and if I cannot find anything, head to the auction.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same and Jeanne beat me to it. At least I know I'm on the right track if I'm in agreement with her, she's one of the sharpest people on here.

I would schedule #3 out earlier, sounds like her genetics will put her finishing out earlier. Personally, I like to take one like her, who will get docked harder at the barn, and take them to butcher. You're adding value that way, and surely you'll have a customer who won't mind the smaller carcass, will be a little cheaper for them since she's smaller. I'm guessing she'll be a fantastic eating experience, given her easy finish.

I wouldn't schedule the rest until January or later, they've got a ways to go.

I was thinking the same and Jeanne beat me to it. At least I know I'm on the right track if I'm in agreement with her, she's one of the sharpest people on here.

I would schedule #3 out earlier, sounds like her genetics will put her finishing out earlier. Personally, I like to take one like her, who will get docked harder at the barn, and take them to butcher. You're adding value that way, and surely you'll have a customer who won't mind the smaller carcass, will be a little cheaper for them since she's smaller. I'm guessing she'll be a fantastic eating experience, given her easy finish.

I wouldn't schedule the rest until January or later, they've got a ways to go.
Thanks BFE. I just bought her about 2 weeks ago. I might be able to find a customer who is ok with the smaller carcass. How much finishing time do you think she'll need? She's pretty fat, but she still young.

Thanks BFE. I just bought her about 2 weeks ago. I might be able to find a customer who is ok with the smaller carcass. How much finishing time do you think she'll need? She's pretty fat, but she still young.
Depending on her current weight I'd think 120 days ballpark depending on how hard you're pushing.

Heifer #3 might could go in October but will still be small. But she's got the most fat of any pictured.

The others most definitely need to get worked up to a full corn ration to start gaining 3 to 5 pounds per day. At full feed they'll be gaining 100 a month or better.

I like mine finished around 1300 to 1500 pounds.

The other animals would be 1400 or so by January. Make excellent beefs. Just have to charge accordingly. They'll eat a lot.

Heifer #3 might could go in October but will still be small. But she's got the most fat of any pictured.

The others most definitely need to get worked up to a full corn ration to start gaining 3 to 5 pounds per day. At full feed they'll be gaining 100 a month or better.

I like mine finished around 1300 to 1500 pounds.

The other animals would be 1400 or so by January. Make excellent beefs. Just have to charge accordingly. They'll eat a lot.
Thank you, that's the plan is to process them in December. Should be good and ready by then since they will be on a good finishing ration.

Latest posts