When to have the CT Family Reunion...

Help Support CattleToday:

When is the best month for you IF you would come to the 1st CT Family Reunion?

• April

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • May

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • June

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • July

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • August

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • September

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • October

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • November

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
Jogeephus":332f9agr said:
HOSS":332f9agr said:
I just had a brainstorm....We invite Doc Harris and let him give a 15 minute presentation on cattle genetics and phenotype. Then we will have other registered breeders give their sales pitch on their breed for a few minutes each. We can then deduct the whole trip off on our taxes. Afterall we did attend a seminar by Dr. Harris and representatives of registered breeds. If Jo could make it he could do a presentation on his Imbalancer program too :mrgreen:

I'd be more than happy to do a spill on the Imbalancer Program if you will bring your guitar. :banana: One small problem though. This will be in 2009 right? Won't we need some source of income to deduct business expenses against? :???:
Jo it is in 2010 and all we need is a gross income not a net income so the way I have it figured the $100 I will spend in fuel to get there will probably put me in the red but oh well you know we have to attend educational seminars

OK...I'm going to say something on the subject that might get me in a little hot water....
First...I think its a GREAT idea if Doc will come and give a talk...however, Doc tends to get a lot of "flack" sometimes on these boards. He visited me last summer (with his wife) and it was a SUPER visit...I think VERY, VERY highly of him. So it is with that thought that I think we need to nicely ASK Doc first if he would entertain the idea. Second, if we all chipped in a certain set amount it might just pay for his travel and justify more than just a 15 min. speech. I can get ANYONE to come do a speech to justify the write-off but it would be AWESOME to have Doc. I know I pay anywhere from $20-$40 to attend University of Illinois talks. Just a thought...please don't "shoot the messenger"...

Angus Cowman":1iuo6vg8 said:
if I can get some help since we will be calving the wife and I will try to make it we are about 4-5 hrs from St louis

I would like to hook the camper up and be there Friday Morning but if not maybe we can get there Early Sat Morning and stay in a hotel and leave Sunday
Cowman...whatever works best for you..I know you were the one that mentioned calving season and I felt really bad that the votes were going that way so I hope you're able to get some help and can make it. We'll be glad if you can come...If it works that you can pull the trailer, you can come anytime (Friday morning is OK)...we're easy.

Wisteria Farms":1t74x0ny said:
OK...I'm going to say something on the subject that might get me in a little hot water....
First...I think its a GREAT idea if Doc will come and give a talk...however, Doc tends to get a lot of "flack" sometimes on these boards. He visited me last summer (with his wife) and it was a SUPER visit...I think VERY, VERY highly of him. So it is with that thought that I think we need to nicely ASK Doc first if he would entertain the idea. Second, if we all chipped in a certain set amount it might just pay for his travel and justify more than just a 15 min. speech. I can get ANYONE to come do a speech to justify the write-off but it would be AWESOME to have Doc. I know I pay anywhere from $20-$40 to attend University of Illinois talks. Just a thought...please don't "shoot the messenger"...

I'll chip in. I'd like to meet Doc. We have had some interesting PM sessions. He was very helpfull.

World Beef Expo in Milwaukee is usually the last weekend of September..... but if we don't go or the dates are different in 2010 will sure try to make it!

Wisteria Farms":1y8nkcky said:

Sounds reasonable to me. As for my fee, unlike Doc Harris, any information I could present would be worthless and would be billed as such. But then again, if you do the opposite of what I then you might be on the right track. :oops:

I think we need to have a talent show - some folks could tell a joke or two, maybe somebody could sing a song, a juggler, maybe Crowder shows up (in drag) and sings one of them there showtunes. I think CFPINZ could put on a presentation about vehicle maintenance.
Don't know if anyone else watches or not but we could probably put on a show similar to Red Green - that guy from Canada that fixes things with duct tape...

Bullbuyer":110usxd1 said:
probably put on a show similar to Red Green - that guy from Canada that fixes things with duct tape...

one of the funniest clean shows out there, i wanna be Mike, the guy thats always in trouble with the law, or maybe ranger gord

I think it would be wonderful if Doc and his lovely wife could come, I know my husband would love to meet him .Every time he reads one of Docs posts his first comment is that the spelling and grammar are PERFECT.. :nod:

I would like this be a fun shindig where we all can just visit, have fun and shoot the [email protected] all have enough heavy stuff going on and it would be nice to just have fun and leave all the "business" at home..Let's not make it too educational ... :cowboy:

hillsdown":kotqpyml said:
I think it would be wonderful if Doc and his lovely wife could come, I know my husband would love to meet him .Every time he reads one of Docs posts his first comment is that the spelling and grammar are PERFECT.. :nod:

I would like this be a fun shindig where we all can just visit, have fun and shoot the [email protected] all have enough heavy stuff going on and it would be nice to just have fun and leave all the "business" at home..Let's not make it too educational ... :cowboy:

HD...I agree. That was the intention...however I can seen everyone's point that it could be a deductible business expense as well. However, I just don't want ti to be at Doc's EXPENSE...after all he IS in his 80's and for all the FREE advice he's dished out on these boards it would be nice to atleast get his & Ruthie's plane tickets covered.

As for the talent show...we can do that too...I know my uncle does a MEAN Willie Nelson!!! And as far as that Green guy with the ductape..let me say this...duct tape is our business (mechanical insulation) so we can supply all the duct tape you boys can handle!! I've never heard of the Green guy but it might be fun for the rest of us to see....

Yes, people, we can try to let this justify a write-off but more importantly lets have FUN!

Bullbuyer":wnfyz0ah said:
I think we need to have a talent show - some folks could tell a joke or two, maybe somebody could sing a song, a juggler, maybe Crowder shows up (in drag) and sings one of them there showtunes. I think CFPINZ could put on a presentation about vehicle maintenance.
Don't know if anyone else watches or not but we could probably put on a show similar to Red Green - that guy from Canada that fixes things with duct tape...

'Twould be a pleazure and an honor.

How's this? I'll swing by and pick you up on the way out. But we're going to have to pick up at least two more strong men. It's going to take at least four of us to subdue dun and tie his kicking, screaming, old ass up and haul him to the gala.

cfpinz":3pctqbam said:
Bullbuyer":3pctqbam said:

'Twould be a pleazure and an honor.

How's this? I'll swing by and pick you up on the way out. But we're going to have to pick up at least two more strong men. It's going to take at least four of us to subdue dun and tie his kicking, screaming, old ass up and haul him to the gala.
cf

I will be driving right by Duns so I would help ya get him in the truck or as far as that goes we can tie him down on the flatbed and if that don't work my wife will be along and she is real mean

I have already informed dun that MM and I will be by to pick him up. He says he will be in the scaredy hole and he ain't coming out. :help:

angie":1ugzgbdu said:
I have already informed dun that MM and I will be by to pick him up. He says he will be in the scaredy hole and he ain't coming out. :help:
Do I have to ride in your truck? Cause if I do, you gotta clean out all those "egg rolls" your mutt left on the seat first.

MistyMorning":1jm0az4q said:
angie":1jm0az4q said:
Do I have to ride in your truck? Cause if I do, you gotta clean out all those "egg rolls" your mutt left on the seat first.
.....and here we go! :lol2: :nod:

angie":ptnnc7y9 said:

hey angie let dun know if I can travel 5000 air miles and 11 hours on a plane he can make a few hours road journey down from those hills of his. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: and ferrets are good at getting things out of scary holes.
:tiphat:

chrisy":xnjr2i1g said:
angie":xnjr2i1g said:

hey angie let dun know if I can travel 5000 air miles and 11 hours on a plane he can make a few hours road journey down from those hills of his.
:tiphat:

Chrisy,
Amen to that... People never fail to suprise me...we have people comming from outside our COUNTRY and people that refuse to go to "yank ville"...YOU GO GIRL!!

Angus Cowman":3djukf8l said:
cf

I will be driving right by Duns so I would help ya get him in the truck or as far as that goes we can tie him down on the flatbed and if that don't work my wife will be along and she is real mean

Our wives must be kin!

If he slips down in his scaredy hole and holds up on us, you rope him and I'll jerk him out with the hydrabed.

Hey all...

Want to throw something out there...with regard to having a "speaker"..
Jogeephus proposed a Card draw. I've done this before but here's how it works

You take a deck of cards. The cards can be bought for a certain amount (say $5)...you can buy as many as you want to increase your odds. (and your're not obligated to buy ANY if thats your choice).

At the end, (from an identical deck of cards) one card is drawn. 1/2 the money goes to the "speaker" and 1/2 the money goes to the person with the matching card.

If you have more than 52 people buying cards, you then have a blue deck and a red deck....the winning person is called out "Blue Queen of Diamonds"

What do you think about this? The whole idea is that we have a reason to write off the expense as a "deductible business expense".
Do we have any CPA's out there? I would think that in order to be able to write off our gas/airfare, etc. we have to show that we actually attended a seminar of some sort...anybody got any suggestions? For instance, when we attended the NAILE we wrote off our gas, hotel, etc. BUT our National Show was held there which justified the expense. How can we make this gathering JUSTIFY the expense?

Latest posts