When to graze

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie 74

Reaction score
When should i start grazing? I planted a mix of winter oats, barley, turnips and radishes on August 27. Do you wait til it reaches a certain height or wait so many days after planting? Do you wait til turnips get a big root?

arkie 74":2wbusb78 said:
When should i start grazing? I planted a mix of winter oats, barley, turnips and radishes on August 27. Do you wait til it reaches a certain height or wait so many days after planting? Do you wait til turnips get a big root?
since you planted as early as you did it should be tall enough an ready to graze by nov 1st.are you going to control graze them 1hr a day.

I had thought about one day on and one off. Is one hour a day better? I have also thought about using electric fence to limit access so they couldn't just trample it.

If you have anything else to graze, this mix makes a good stockpile forage to reduce your winter hay needs. The oats will keep growing till you gets temps in the 20's. Here, in that mix, only the oats would winter kill in January some years, and we don't have any snow issues to worry about. I have strip grazed without a back fence to extend the grazing season into winter. For a spring calving herd i like to hold the best nutrition as long as possible, as the cows nutritional needs increase till spring.

arkie 74":128v9mgo said:
I had thought about one day on and one off. Is one hour a day better? I have also thought about using electric fence to limit access so they couldn't just trample it.
an hour a day limit grazing works real well.if the grass is lush they can fill up in an hour.more than that they will trample an mash it down by laying down.plus youll have alot of grazing by limiting it.

Latest posts