When to fertilize ryegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

Copenhagen & Shiner B

Reaction score
where the sand meets the clay in South Carolina
I planted ryegrass this year in october like I always do and it grew good up until it got cold around the first of december just like I expected it to do. My problem is that it has been colder than normal this year and have not gotten the little warm spells that help with growth in the middle of winter. I usually put out 34-0-0 on the ryegrass during the first two weeks of Febuary,but it is colder than usual. If I put it out in the next couple of days will the 34-0-0 stay in ground (I have sandy loam soil) until a warm spell comes in the next few weeks or wait until just before a warm spell to put it out? I have to do something before my hay runs out in the first week of March.

its colder than normal everywhere this year.i wouldnt fert it till the 1st or 2nd week in march.by then it should be warm enough to really kick the rye grass in the tail.an it should take off growing.

Couldn't fertilize now if I wanted to. Way to wet. (Gosh that feels good to say that :nod: ). Probably a little to early unless it really starts to warm up where you are. Did see one of the bulk trailers on one of the local ranchers yard last week before this rain set back in but the only thing moving from what I hear is the price. I'm going to have to wait at least a couple weeks now.

Latest posts