When to buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa77

Reaction score
Just bored, I just about ready to sell my yearlings, When do you guys think would be the best time to start buying some 400 to 500 pound cattle back? Think the market hit a peak and starting to come back down and wait closer to spring and take the winner off? Just a small time hobby farmer

The things to consider are that if you get them now you'll need to put feed into them all winter, but if you wait till spring the prices will be higher. Kind of a "pays your money and takes your chances" kind of deal

dun

I would take winter off. Prices are higher in the Spring; but probably not so much higher that it pays to feed and hay calves all the way through winter (especially in Iowa).

We usually make a buy this time of the year and take advantage of the seasonal drop in prices....now I'm stuck needing steers and the damn prices actually went up at the sale yesterday, we buy alot from farms where we know the folks and the animals, and pay the market. We're considering shipping a few of the calves to cash in on the good market but don't want the gamble of higher replacement prices. God, gotta love this business. DMc

Latest posts