when to buy a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
When to buy a bull?
When is it realistic to own a bull, how many heifer/cows should you have to make it worth it?
if you are only going to have 25-30 breeding animals at a time is it worth having a bull or is it better for small producers like my self just to AI and lease a bull from a friend

My personal opinion is somwhere over 15 cows is when its paractical to own a bull. A bigger consideration though is the infrastructure to handle the bull. I don think 40 acres is adequete size unless you intend to let the bull run year round, or spend bunch of money feeding him in his off season in your dry lot.

vs_cattle":1x312ac3 said:
When to buy a bull?
When is it realistic to own a bull, how many heifer/cows should you have to make it worth it?
if you are only going to have 25-30 breeding animals at a time is it worth having a bull or is it better for small producers like my self just to AI and lease a bull from a friend

You'll have to pencil it out. If you have a source that you trust to rent a quality bull from, that might be the way to go. Be sure the bulls are healthy, disease-free, and fertility checked.

3MR":2j2z4t9h said:
My personal opinion is somwhere over 15 cows is when its paractical to own a bull. A bigger consideration though is the infrastructure to handle the bull. I don think 40 acres is adequete size unless you intend to let the bull run year round, or spend bunch of money feeding him in his off season in your dry lot.

dry loting him right now is what im doing but Im starting to rethink if its practicle for me to have him. But on the flip side AI say 25 Heifer/Cows:
- Semen @ $25 Straw = 625.00
- Signing fee Could run from 0.00 - 625.00+
- Lut
- Seeder
- Person to AI em
I can get a good rate I have a friend that AIs and also has some Charolais bulls I could lease. I never asked what it would take to lease yet so to breed 25 head could run me 1500+- but I would have a greater opportunity to improve faster

If you have 25 head of cattle you need to buy a bull even if you A.I not all of them will settle and then what you still need a bull so I'D say do both because you can A.I to a bull that may be better than one you can afford and then buy a bull to clean up the cows that wont settle

recently I have bought my bull for my 17 cows, I have also leased bulls in the past but I have come out better buying bulls. Last year I bought my bull two weeks before I needed him and after about 60 days when he servied the cows I sold him for the same money to a year round calver...the only cost I had in him was 60 days of feed

3MR":s3jrmgx0 said:

I agree with this. you definitely got to consider what you intend to do with the bull. With 40 acres, then I personally would just let him run with the cows.

Limomike":jy64v74r said:
3MR":jy64v74r said:

I agree with this. you definitely got to consider what you intend to do with the bull. With 40 acres, then I personally would just let him run with the cows.

I would think with even 10 or 12 cows you should run a bull, unless you can rent a 100% STD bull. Even if you AI, you will have a few cows that may not have settled, so for a clean up bull. Also a herd bull will help keep your calving season shorter. The money from one calf will feed your bull through the winter as opposed to feeding the cow that is hard to settle or even open.

My thinking is there is more to pencil out than just feed cost or the cost of AI opposed to a herd bull.

Alan

I don think 40 acres is adequete size unless you intend to let the bull run year round, or spend bunch of money feeding him in his off season in your dry lot.

What would be the matter with leaving the bull in with bred cows? I think leaving him in there for 60 days, pull him out and put him in a pen, preg check cow herd, then sell opens and put him back in. In the winter he'd eat hay with the rest of the cow herd. I think a bull with 25-30 cows is a good idea. I plan on having one when I get 10-15 and I know where I'm getting him from too.

vs_cattle":10nxp3a0 said:
3MR":10nxp3a0 said:

dry loting him right now is what im doing but Im starting to rethink if its practicle for me to have him. But on the flip side AI say 25 Heifer/Cows:
- Semen @ $25 Straw = 625.00
- Signing fee Could run from 0.00 - 625.00+
- Lut
- Seeder
- Person to AI em
I can get a good rate I have a friend that AIs and also has some Charolais bulls I could lease. I never asked what it would take to lease yet so to breed 25 head could run me 1500+- but I would have a greater opportunity to improve faster

We do a fair bit of AI - you have expenses in there I would not consider.

We use estrumate on very few. We never use anything but natural heat - one month or so - all that we plan to AI are bred and then we turn in the cover bull.

Our percentage runs about 65 - 70 % catch -bull does the rest.

A lot cheaper than your plan.

Bez>

Alot will depend on what you plan to do with the cattle you are producing.
If you are a registered breeder and plan to sell breeding stock, then you should AI and cleam up with the best rental bull you can afford. You should always work towards improving your cow herd and not get barn blind and keep cattle that should go to town.

If you only want to sell a calf crop, rent a good bull and don't worry about AI.

Your breeding plans should be guided by what you plan to do with the end result, and the time of year you want to market the calf crop.

Latest posts