When to butcher.

Help Support CattleToday:

GANGGREEN

Reaction score
OK, a little background first. I have 6 acres in high quality red clover/perennial rye pasture in northern Pennsylvania and just added my first cattle, 3 Scottish Highland cows and 3 young bulls that will be castrated soon. Since I live in an area with cold/snowy winters, they're getting timothy hay daily and a small ration of ground corn, just for a snack. For what it's worth, I do intend to grain them towards finishing time as I like white fat on my meat and prefer a slightly milder steak.

Now, my question is, when should I start butchering the steers? I've always heard that Highlands finish slowly and that they generally aren't ready until about 24 months. I've also always heard that, in general, the younger the animal, the more tender and flavorful it's likely to be. The first one in particular is for my freezer so I'm not terribly concerned about what it costs to feed out or how much it weighs, I just want the highest quality beef I can get.

Am I better off feeding the devil out of him and butchering him at 18-20 months (he'll be on very high quality pasture at that time and should be seeing good ADG) or will I see better marbling if I let him go the full 24 months (when his diet would likely need to be subsidized in late fall/early winter)? I realize that all situations are different and that some other factors might play a role but, in general, when would I see the best quality meat?

I don't know anything about highland cattle other than they are smaller, my steers (simmental crosses) are put on grain after weaning at about 7 months and they finish at 14-15 months at 750-850 lbs hanging weight. Meat is always good , my customers keep coming back.

Not a Highland grower but we slaughter according to the individual animal. I disagree with the old thought that the younger animal the more flavorfull it will be. I have found that the animals develop a more mature beefy flavor at 18-24 months. The best tasting beef that I ever ate was from a three year old Herf heifer that spent her entire life on grass.
And thats just my two bits worth...asked for or not. DMc

Thanks for the info, that's the type of anecdotal information that I was interested in. I don't think my guys would be anywhere near that sort of hanging weight at 14-15 months, not sure that they'll get there even at 24 months. I guess I'll learn as I go on this one.

:D

I butcher at 14 - 18 months depending on how they look. It's not very scientific, but when they have the body look that I want, they head to the freezer. :)

The question is how do you plan to process the meat. If you are grinding or cubing it all no need to put good fat finish on them.

However, I take it that you would like to have traditional cuts of meat steaks, roasts, etc.

I can not give you a fool proof time line but can give a few key things to look for as a calf nears finishing weight.

1. The cod fills up with fat. (easy to see and good indication you are nearing slaughter time.)
2. Fat deposits around tailhead (not as easy to see)
3. Feel the sides of the animal feeling the ribs. They deposite fat from front to back and top to bottom. (pretty easy to tell, but can be a little tricky if this is your first time)

Best bet if to let the cod fill up untill it is nice and firm, and full, then butcher, after you butcher a few you will start to get an idea of how much fat cover you want.

I have butchered shorthorn calves at ages of 13months to 18 months.

The biggest difference was in how fast you push them and how long you have them on grain.

to get best finish they need to be on full grain 180-190 days.
However, for personal freezer beef. I found that if I let them grow a little longer on grass and hay with minimal grain and pushed them hard at the end for 90 days on full feed they did quite well. It just took a few more months to reach finish.

So the question is how long do you want to keep them around? How much grain do you wish to feed? Growing them slowly on grass, ands a little grain and then pushing at the end uses less grain and can be more economical.

That was a very helpful website dun, thank you. According to them, they finish their Highland steers at 15-24 months at 1100-1300 pounds. I have one animal that's 13 months and another at 11 months and neither is anywhere near those weights. I guess we'll see.

GANGGREEN":wbbzmh9i said:
That was a very helpful website dun, thank you. According to them, they finish their Highland steers at 15-24 months at 1100-1300 pounds. I have one animal that's 13 months and another at 11 months and neither is anywhere near those weights. I guess we'll see.
That quote was weights for highland cross steers. Not purebreds. A person need not look at the website for very long to realize those people are without a clue. Those figures are all over the board They claim the dressed weight for a 1000# steer will average between 590# and 480# but the paragraph before that one they tell us a half of their beef will average between 175# and 225#. They are maybe using the boxed beef weights in that instance but selling dressed weights in doing so they are misleading the customer in my opinion. I guess it takes all kinds. Or maybe they were using actual dressed weights making a whole steer dressing at 350# to 450#. That would make 600# to 760# live weight. That however would be about right for a 24 month old highland steer.

somn, I noticed that inconsistency on the site as well. I guess it would make sense that they were talking about cross steers with those weights but I'm not sure I understand your last statement. Are you suggesting that purebred Highland steers will only weigh 600-760# at 24 months? That seems awfully light, were you suggesting that they'd weight that much at 15 months?

GANGGREEN":ma0xlepl said:
somn, I noticed that inconsistency on the site as well. I guess it would make sense that they were talking about cross steers with those weights but I'm not sure I understand your last statement. Are you suggesting that purebred Highland steers will only weigh 600-760# at 24 months? That seems awfully light, were you suggesting that they'd weight that much at 15 months?
The fella up the road has a whole herd of the long haired long horned things. Claims they will only gain 1.03 pounds per day on grass. My past history has been having some in a feedlot. Miserable deal at best. Certainly not designed for that type of enviroment.

I can tell you this....highlanders are some of the simplist cattle to raise, yet the most complex as far as marketing goes.

On one hand, the purists desire top dollar for the animals, and the beef is considered top quality, and with top dollar paid for it as well. But try selling any at a regular sale barn and you get about half the price you will for regular beef breeds. Whis his fine with me, cus i pick them up when ever I can, and beef them out ................great quality meat (usually) with low input price, and a decent return for the money when beef is sold, and most folks are really love to try what they consider is an exotic beef.

Given the choice between Highlander and other beef, i would go for the Highlander almost everytime.

I have found that over all, they are a joy to raise. :cboy:

Thanks Medic, it's all pretty new to me but I've had Highland beef and thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm now thoroughly enjoying raising the critters. I have 3 bulls now (they were supposed to be castrated before delivery but they weren't, now I have to get it done) and 2 of the 3 seem to be gaining weight very well. The 3rd seems small for his age (13 months) but who knows what the story with that is.