when to breed new heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Judge Sharpe

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am finally back in a few(four) heifers. Two are 1 year old and have not been bred, two are 2 years old and have month old calves with them. All are the regesterred Black Angus that I picked up at the Alabama Angus Sale last week. The are in great condition. I do not have a bull and until I have more to keep one busy don't particularly want one. Alabama has mild winters. Last year we had a little ice and snow but it was gone in a day so weather should not be a factor. I hope to use AI and raise some commercial calves for sale and the freezer. I have two questions: 1. Is it feasible to try to bring all four into season at once for AI, and would March or April be a good time to breed them? and 2. I have all four on 30 acres of good bermuda grass with some Behaia mixed in, had not been grazed in 25 years except by less than 5 horses. Do I need to feed the mothers supplimental feed when they still have green grass? It should last another month at least. I plan to lime it good in the eary spring.
I have enjoyed reading the posts on here and have relearned a lot I forgot over the forty some years since i last fooled with cattle. thanks and i hope these questions don't sound too dumb for the experts on here.
Bill Brower

It is extremely feasible, and actually i would recomend it. The younger ones won't be ready until they are 14mos, and the others will be ready as well. I would synchonize them all and A. I. them. That way your calving season will be short, and all calves uniform.

You could just check for heat and A.I. but that will extend your breeding and calving season. Maybe because I A.I. frequently I am a little biased to synchonizing...

good Luck

the two 2yr olds with 30 day old calves will be ready to breed the first of Dec(45 days after calving) the yearlings will need to wait a few more months if you want a single calving season that will work fine. if you think you may want to sell some as freezer beef you may want 2 calving seasons. I would breed the 2 now so i didnt loose a few months next year but i do mine myself so that makes it a little easier. Find a good A I tech (if you dont do it yourself) and maybe check the cost for twice a yr versus once that could make difference. As far as the grass thats all mine get with a good mineral they do just fine.

Thanks that helps a lot. I again need to find a good AI tech in north Alabama. Then decide if i want to continue with the Angus or spread out ...Thanks again i will try to post some pictures soon.
Bill Brower

Judge Sharpe":3vdzhpeu said:
Thanks that helps a lot. I again need to find a good AI tech in north Alabama. Then decide if i want to continue with the Angus or spread out ...Thanks again i will try to post some pictures soon.
Bill Brower

It's pretty easy to learn to do it yourself. If you're going to be at this a while, it'd be worth the investment.

I don't know any AI technitions in your area but the ABS manager for the beef industry in your area is James Umphrey at [email protected] or 352-538-7283. It's his job to set you up with a good match for your needs.
Financially, you'd be better off to buy an extra female animal, breed them all once and again if they need it, and take the risk of having one go to beef open than you would buying a bull that just eats grass and doesn't raise a calf. I have alot more cows than you currently do and I still can't get a bull purchase to pencil out. Others will strongly disagree but 100%AI does work extremely well if you do it right.

Hey, Bill, I can give you a couple of guys to help you with AI that were actually at the sale when you bought those cattle. I wish I had known you were there I would have said hello in person.I live just on the other side of Cullman from you. I was at the sale but wasnt really looking to buy anything. Which lots did you buy? If you would like these two guys info PM me and I will be happy to give it to you. One is the ABS rep and the other handles a route for a couple of other semen companies. Thanks, Bill

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts