when to breed back

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i bought a bred murraygrey / anges cross cow with a murraygrey heifer calf, she will calve in the spring . how soon can i re breed her ? and does any one know where to get a murraygrey bull near pittsburgh P.A thank you for your help Mark.

[email protected]

Breed her back 45 to 60 days after she calves, that will keep you close to a 12 month calving calving interval.

dunmovin farms

> i bought a bred murraygrey / anges
> cross cow with a murraygrey heifer
> calf, she will calve in the spring
> . how soon can i re breed her ?
> and does any one know where to get
> a murraygrey bull near pittsburgh
> P.A thank you for your help Mark.

Mark: Check the attached link for breeders in your area. Also the Ohio Murray Grey association has a website. The Ohio group also particpates in the Ohio Beef Expo at Columbus in the spring, there would be an opportunity there to purchase a bull for use next year. If you only have the one cow then a bull would probably not be economical. I would suggest AI if there is a technican nearby. There is semen readily available in your area.

<A HREF="http://www.mgi-inc.org" TARGET="_blank">www.mgi-inc.org</A> <A HREF="http://www.ohiomg.org" TARGET="_blank">www.ohiomg.org</A>

[email protected]

>We just unloaded some angus, 2 open heffers going into 2nd heat and a 2 yr old cow with a 2 week old calf. We'd like to move their calving up to April or May. Can they be bred back on their 1st or 2nd heat after calving to try and move their date up?

[email protected]

Breeding them now won't move them up to the time period you want in one year but it will in two. You can breed them back but the conception rate can be pretty poor depending on how long ago the calved. We had one old girl that bred back 18 days post calving and never had a problem, we've had others that took over 40 days to settle. The big issue is the uterus returning to normal. When it has, conception should be no problem.

dunmovin farms

Mark, You can check with one of the Murray Grey Associations for a breeder in your area. One I found is :Joseph N. Keller/Heaven's Way Farm, New York

OOPS!! Wrong one.Try Brett & Raquel McNeill, Pennsylvania