when to band or wait and cut?

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
Does it make the bull calf grow faster or with more muscle tone if you wait and cut at 6 mo or does it make that much difference verses banding at a few days old? :???:

I always thought the sooner you did it, the better and the calf would grow faster. Steers are more efficient than bulls, so to me it makes more sense to make them steers sooner.

There is tons of info on this on the board, just do a search.

IMO, it is better to castrate them sooner, rather than later. Less stress on them when they are done real young, than when you do them at an older age. Also, less chance of infection I think if you decide to knife cut them (as long as you use sterile equipment).

We band them usually before they are a day old. Doesn't seem to set them back at all. If you are really worried about growth you can implant them at branding time, that takes the place of any testosterone you are losing out on by cutting them, and costs about $1/head to get a 15+ lb gain.

A member from South Africa sent me the results on a trial he did on early vs later castration. Very informative and the early castration won.

I think the younger the better, by whatever method . You can put a Ralgro in his ear the day you castrate him .

Larry

After all the different ways of making steers out of bulls that I've tried. I'm convinced the band on newborns is the way to go. Always making 100% sure that there are TWO before the band is released. :cowboy:

The benefit I see to waiting to cut at 6 mo or a heavier weight is that you can run a whole truck load through the chute and it saves time.

mnmtranching":or64wx4y said:
After all the different ways of making steers out of bulls that I've tried. I'm convinced the band on newborns is the way to go. Always making 100% sure that there are TWO before the band is released. :cowboy:

:nod: :nod: :nod: Just did 2 more yesterday. When finished, up they go and they walk away, no fuss no muss......unless thier mother is #47 :lol2:

Katherine

Latest posts