when to AI

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
When would yall AI a heifer you catch in standing heat at 2 in the afternoon, would you do her that night? 2 in the morning? Or just the next morning? When would be the best time? This is the first one I've had that hasn't been in either the morning or evening

Next morning, from my experience (and after years of AI I still get anxious to get a virgin heifer AI'd as soon as possible for fear of not getting through the cervix) if you're too hasty with heifers its often a big struggle and if you AI her again the next morning its alot easier in this situation.

I would worry that if you wait until tomorrow morning you might miss it. So I would AI tonight around 9 or 10. But it depends on you set up as well whether you have lights etc. where you plan to AI her. I was taught that it is best to be early rather than late..But that was a few years ago so they might have found something new also I think you might have a little more leeway with heifers rather than cows when it comes to standing heats and AI'ing..

Or you can do what I think Knersie is suggesting if I read it right, AI her tonight and again early tomorrow morn.

Or you can do what I think Knersie is suggesting if I read it right, AI her tonight and again early tomorrow morn.

If the semen is affordable you can always AI that evening and depending on how easy she is to do, how much tone their is to the uterus and on the colour and clearness of the bullstring AI her again in the morning.

Obviously the ideal is to to try and get as close to 12 hours after the onset of standing heat, but for my setup it isn't always possible. Anytime between 8 and 18 hours after the onset of standing heat the conception rate is very similar.

The oldtimers had a saying of AI early for heifers and late for conception. That has proved to be very true from my experience, its unlikely that the next morning will be too late if your heat observation was up to standard.

Knersie - we're more alike all the time.
For many years, we've bred early in the cycle the first 3 weeks of breeding season. 2PM is ideal for breeding that evening. Yes, we do it for more heifers and I am a firm believer. BUT, you will get lower conception rates. Higher conception rate breeding later, like in this case the next morning.
And Knersie is correct 8-18 if a pretty safe window.

Noon or before we breed in the evening 7-8pm. Afternoon we breed early the next morning 5-6am