When to add Calves to Feed calculation?

Help Support CattleToday:

CircleA

Reaction score
At what age / weight do you start adding calves into your daily feed ration / calculation?

In other words, (and just an example) if i determine that each cow will get 30 pounds of alf hay a day (3% @ 1000#) - and they have a calf on the side, when should i start increasing the total amount of hay a day - say another 15 pounds per day per calf (3% @ 500#).

Daily ration for 10 cows is 300 pounds - adding 10 calves, avg weight 500 adds 150 more pounds of hay - for a total amount at feeding 450 pounds?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Alex

PS - please don't get lost the size of the animals nor the percentage of feed to total weight.

I am by no means an expert, but, calves will start eating hay-grain-grass when they are a few weeks old. They don't eat much at a young age but they do watch momma and do what she does. i.e. eat. I would start figuring the calf in starting at around a month give or take. I would just watch them at feeding time and see how long the calf eats. Is it just 'playing with its food' or really eating. IMO that is how I would make me decision as to when to add more food per day.

sidney411":3e15v5xj said:
I am by no means an expert, but, calves will start eating hay-grain-grass when they are a few weeks old. They don't eat much at a young age but they do watch momma and do what she does. i.e. eat. I would start figuring the calf in starting at around a month give or take. I would just watch them at feeding time and see how long the calf eats. Is it just 'playing with its food' or really eating. IMO that is how I would make me decision as to when to add more food per day.

Good answer!

dun

along the same lines.....at what age can i wean my calfs?.......i have a bottle fed 4 month old on milk replacer, pellets and alfalfa...would be nice to lay off the bottle and be one step closer to this animal being ou with the herd.

...CircleA: is it as hot and dry where you are, we're baking in vacaville

Richard,
It's hot, dang hot - and the AC is out on the truck - oh well,

come winter we will be complaining about the cold!

Alex

RICHARD ADAMS":1smsneoz said:
along the same lines.....at what age can i wean my calfs?.......i have a bottle fed 4 month old on milk replacer, pellets and alfalfa...would be nice to lay off the bottle and be one step closer to this animal being ou with the herd.

...CircleA: is it as hot and dry where you are, we're baking in vacaville

If he's eating a couple of pounds of grain a day he can be weaned now. BUT, since he was bottle raised, I would recommend you keep creep feeding him grain.

dun

THANKS DUN!!! That means more to me then you can ever imagine, coming from an expert Guru like yourself that knows more about cattle in your little pinkie then I do all together! I really appreciate you and all of the other people on this board.

Latest posts