When the cows come home??

Help Support CattleToday:

Luckyjada

Reaction score
I cant get my herd of cattle to come home and when I get near them they run and hide in the woods. They have been run off by the neighbors so much that getting near them is almost impossible. I have thought about hiring someone that has dogs and or horses to round them up, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that where I live at. So if any one knows of a place in NE Va. Let me know who I can contact or what to look up in the phone book or whatever. Luckyjada

S/he has another post up ~ read it and it explains a little better.
Off of their land.

They will go right where you want them if you walk behind them at a flank. When they try to outflank you, move quickly so they can't. Use any fencelines as a flank. Have a plan of movement so you are not tuckered out. Stay on them and don't give up even if it takes you all day. Be calm and quiet and hold a big stick.

As has been suggested,over a period of time you may be able to get them where you want with feed or water if you can keep them away from other water sources.

When handling flighty cattle you must go very slow and don't try to run or chase them. If they break and run, don't try to head them off. Let them go and give them time to settle down.
If one breaks away from the herd, let that one go. If you can get the others where you want them, that one will probably try to rejoin them later.

Take a look at this website for ideas on movement:

http://www.grandin.com/B.Williams.html

Other than this, call for the dogs and horses.

Are there other herds in the neighborhood? Your cows will migrate toward other cows. Perhaps those farms will have catch pens?
If they could get on the roads, make sure you have good insurance. And work day and night till you secure them all.
Come back when this crisis is passed, and we'll teach you to build fence.

I just want to thank everyone for your helpful advise and thanks for the offer to teach me how to build a fence, :? :x :roll: but that isn't the problem. We bought these cows from a neighbor that was sick and tired of dealing with this herd getting out and going to the other neighbors places and messing up their crop fields and front yards. We were not told how serious the problem was or how much damage her fences had. We probably should have known that something was wrong when she offered us the whole herd (19-24 head) for 1500 dollars. These cows and steers are nice and healthy looking too. They have been running around for months and she made it sound like they just started getting out for a couple of weeks. We have been after them for over a month now and getting very desperate to get them contained. We have fixed all the fences and are trying to lure them back to her place with food so we can catch them at home where they belong and seal them in with the opening we left for them. The food is disappearing but we just need to catch them while there and close them in. My next plan is to just camp out in my car and wait for them. Or if we can find someone local that can herd them home with horses and or dogs that would be good. If any one out there knows of a :cboy: Cowboy :cboy: that does that in this area, :help: let me know :banana: I would be grateful :clap: :clap: :clap: I live in Midland, VA. on the outskirts of Warrenton Va. and close to Manassas Va. Thanks again for all your help, Luckyjada

Latest posts